BOM structure in quote

All –

When we are creating a quote and Get Details… the materials come in all as a list; they do not come in with the BOM structure that we see, for example, in the Method Tracker. Our Customer Service folks would like to see the sub-assembly structure so that they can work with one sub-assembly at a time.

Some of our subassemblies are marked “pull as assembly” in the BOM; others are not. None of the sub-assembly structure is visible in the Quote display, whether or not “pull as assembly” is checked for the sub-assemblies.

Is there any way to display the tree view in the quote user interface? Trying to go through a laundry list of 100+ base-level parts is every inefficient…

Thanks.

—sam

Check the ‘View As Assembly’ checkbox on the method BOM. This will pull then them into the quote details as subassemblies rather than materials.

Thanks, Zack.

I had tried that (and just now tried again) but that does not change the tree in the quote. Still shows no subassemblies, a few operations (which is correct) and 100+ materials…

Is there some higher-level config setting on either quote or the part which overrides the flags in the BOM file?

–sam

Did you resolve this? We have just started looking at quoting and notice that our system is working the same way… I wonder if it is because in E10 it needs to be added specifically as a sub-assembly rather than a material?

Did not resolve it. Our CSRs keep Method Tracker open to check the subassembly structure.

You can build that tree in a customization yourself using the BOMSearchAdapter and GetDataSetForTree() method

@tmat ours works fine, so there must be something set up different. Do you pull and view as assembly in the master and on Jobs normally? Or are the jobs that you build just one level? Do you need to make 2 different revisions, or an alternate method for quotes?

@skhayatt - When changing the settings like “Pull as Assy” or “View as Assy”, it won’t affect an existing MOM in a quote. It only affects it during the “copy” process. So try removing all the materials and re-Get Details, after you’ve updated the BOM.

1 Like

We do use Pull\View As Assy for some parts but that was all tested for MRP\Vantage at implementation stage over 10 years ago. If I add the part on E10 as a Sub-Assembly on the Quote rather than a material it all looks to work more how Vantage does, so I just wondered if it was an E10 change. Screenshots below:

We add the material and enter Qty\Parent but when we save, the part number we have selected disappears and the individual materials are shown.

Can you make a video or gif of your process so we can see what you are doing? (Screen to gif is a handy free program that will do that for you). I think you are doing something incorrectly, but I would like to see what steps you are doing.

Thanks for your help. This is exactly how we do it in Vantage so would appreciate knowing how we need to work correctly within E10 (apologies for the quality of the video).

So is it that you just want to add the one material instead of having it exploded? (I’m just trying to understand what your desired results are)

Yes - this is how it works in Vantage. I think for it to do the same in E10 I have to add specifically as a sub-assembly rather than a material?

There has to be a setting somewhere. See my video, 10.2.200. Works as we expect.

From @tmat’s post with the two screen shots, it looks like they are starting with a BOM that is pulled in with Get Mfg Details, and then wants to add to it. And the act of adding to it removes the details (at least the materials) from the orignal Get Details.

Yes, that looks the same as we use in Vantage… add as a material and show the part number (not the materials within the sub-assembly). We are on 10.2.300.8 so I will have a look to see if I can see a setting. Thank you!

We are just adding a material, exactly as Brandon shows on his screen clip. I think I need to have a look through the settings, unless it is a change in 10.2.300 :confused:

I noticed in the E10 video that the material you add ends up checking the “Make Direct” box.

Is that part setup as no-stock?

It is set up as Non-Stock as theoretically it can never exist… the material is created when we inject a pre-made mix of chemicals with another and the material then sets to form the product. The parts are setup exactly the same in Vantage and E10 though.

So it’s a “Mfg’d” part with a phantom BOM?