But in our "old system" we could....blah blah blah

If it’s the exec team that’s very concerning they should have been your champions regardless of the operational changes required to get from A to B sounds like they got sold on “Shiny” and weren’t realistically thinking about the change.

If you are already live and users are down the path it’s a harder call. There still may be value in getting everyone shifted before they settle in too deep rooted or you have too many customizations.

If the exec team is far enough in the weeds that they are concerned about minutia you described, I can only assume they are working execs and you’re company is 25-75 employees. If you are in fact that size still consider the move you should be nimble enough.

1 Like

I’d skip that, and go for 11.2 this fall. You’ll need to do a CRP regardless, so save a cycle and do it once! You can keep all the same classic views and customizations, and migrate departments over to the Kinetic UI as you get a chance to train them. And if someone asks for a classic customization once you’re on 11, then get mgmt to back the Epicor line of “All future development will be in Kinetic” :slight_smile: Otherwise you’ll be doing it twice.

3 Likes

You hit the nail on the head! We’re about 30’ish employees total at the moment.

I will take a serious look at the Kinetic - download it and see what we’ve got.

Thanks - I’m not in favor of doing anything twice… the year of preparing for implementation and then trying to work out all the kinks since then has been exhausting!

@WendyB , I’ve shared this before, but learning epicor very closely resembles the stages of grief. lol. Sounds like your users are still in denial, and you’ve moved onto the anger and bargaining phase. :laughing:

It does get better. I promise!

2 Likes

Yeah, Kinetic isn’t really Kinetic until 2021.2, it seems. 2021.1 is a glorified preview and public beta.

Things in 2021.2 that are not in 2021.1 but were in E10:

• Open With
  • 70-odd screens
  • Ability to open apps in new tabs/screens
1 Like

So… 2021.1 doesn’t have “open with” ? That would be a deal breaker; it’s almost everyone’s favorite feature!

It’s in .2. They are actively making that work better. It will have the linked screens like it does in the thick client as well.

and that’s only in the Web UI in .1. The classic UI still has it, even in .1.

2 Likes

Whew… ok…so if that’s going to be released this fall I will stop wasting my time testing in 10.2.700 and focus on the 5 million other things on my list while trying NOT to come up with too many customizations that I’ll have to deal with in Kinetic… got it!

Is there value in downloading and testing in 2021.1 until .2 is released?

Good point.

I just meant if you are trying to abandon classic altogether, 2021.1 is not the bridge to that, in my opinion.

1 Like

If your focus is on classic then no. It’s effectively 700 there. If you want to start playing with the Kinietic forms and AppStudio (used to customize going forward) then 100%. Sounds like you didn’t make it to Insights 2021?

3 Likes

I did not make it to Insights…I’m effectively tied to my computer and desk. My focus is not on the classic – I do want to start working with the Kinetic and getting used to it and AppStudio. I’ll be kicking 700 off the server and replacing it with 2021.1 and going from there.

Thank goodness I decided to rant this week ! I’ve learned A LOT! :smiley:

3 Likes

Make sure you take the time to get there next year you would have a head start on app studio they did a lot of labs on that. Next years labs should be better with passed time. This year’s were good but for sure needed polish.

1 Like

I will definitely put that on the calendar!

For Cloud customers they should be getting .2 in their Pilot environments this weekend.

Pretty common to hear things like this, relative to persons function in the org.
I know quite a few older, “frontline” users, those who do the bulk of the data entry/lookup and they still have fond memories of those old unix/green screens. Older systems, though limited functionality on one hand, on the other hand tended to be REALLY fast/easy for these types of end users.
Those who work in management, IT, etc… usually not big fans of those old systems. Instead they want access to lots and lots of raw data that can easily be manipulated - or customize processes, where the newer systems tend to excel.

2 Likes

Side project I’m working on right now … I kid you not …

BBx just will not die for me :frowning:

1 Like

Oh… wow… Reminds me of the AS400 system at a company I worked for long long LONG ago…

It is an AS400 for a company I worked for a long long LONG time ago…

2 Likes

As one of the few holders of the “Who Moved My Cheese” badge, I feel I must weigh in.

While change is inevitable, and often for the better, there are times when it looks like the change was made just for the sake of changing.

You know why GUI based O/S’s and there programs took off so fast? Because of repeatability (i.e. - minimal change). The commands: Open, Save, Print, etc … are under the File menu - where they’ve been since the original Macintosh and Windows 3.0. And that’s regardless of the program. So if you are using a new program you instinctively know where too look.

It took me a long time to transition from a menubar to the 2007 Office “ribbon bar” (is that what it is even called?)

1 Like