But in our "old system" we could....blah blah blah

The IBM CUA (COMMON USER ACCESS) BASIC INTERFACE DESIGN GUIDE was started in 1987 and completed by 1989 which is the document that gave us File, Edit, View, … IBM worked with Microsoft, Xerox PARC, and Apple during the development of the standard. It appeared in text-based menu systems prior to GUIs (made easy by TurboPascal…)

1 Like

And magically appeared in my original Mac back in 1985 . :wink:

Oh Yeah… one of the more debated changes I can remember.
Coincidentally, witnessed a fairly heated exchange when Julie Larson-Green was mentioned in a recent article.

FWIW…
Saw this last summer, sounded like the ribbon was getting overhauled soon… if it hasn’t already?

Yes. It appeared first on the Apple Lisa even earlier in 1983. We were talking about standardization and several companies were using one form or another and IBM created the standard with others so there was the comfort that we have grown accustomed.

The windowed interface was created by Xerox PARC, which Apple was highly influenced by. The Xerox machines had a mouse with 3-buttons while Apple uses a single button mouse to this day. Because of the single button, commands were grouped. The Lisa started with a File/Print menu item before moving the Print function under the File group.

Ah, the Apple Lisa. I used one of those at one of my jobs for a bit.

2021.1 does have open with, you just have to wait 5-10 seconds… Patience grasshoppa…

In some cases it presents the “open with” option, but then only opens the form but not the record. For example, Order Entry > Releases > Job, right clicking the job number offers to open with Job Entry, but then just opens a blank Job Entry. I don’t know if this broke recently; I no longer have 10.x to compare it to.

That happens when you aren’t in the right plant for the job. You can look at orders, (which aren’t tied to site) and see job numbers. But when you try to open the job, you won’t have access to actually see it if you aren’t logged into the site that the job is in.

2 Likes

Yes that is the #1 common complaint when changing to a new system. Many of the Legacy systems have been Heavily Customized and unfortunately also tended to Lock In the company to not making Upgrades over the years.
Key to emphasize is how the new system (Base) with Easier to create Small embedded changes will allow them to upgrade regularly to stay up with the Technology. The New System also has been Vetted by many other customers providing Feedback to Epicor. Granted it is not One Size Fits all, however it is where the majority of businesses are moving with Web Browser based systems to help eliminate the Overhead and allow access from anywhere on multiple platforms.

Over time they will come to like the screens so best to slowly introduce the screens and what the Personalizations will allow for their Respective Roles.

1 Like

We hear similar songs at a recent implementation we have in progress, for them all they want is everything must be available in one screen, why have to go do different modules and why have 3 different windows to simply enter a purchasing transaction!

1 Like

I wrote an entire costing application in Amiga Basic. Back in the day. Saved and stored data to floppy disks.

1 Like

I hear the same thing here constantly about entering information or finding information in Part Maintenance. I hear very little complaints from Purchasing or the shop floor actually…

Hi Wendy,

A few years into our use of Epicor, we made a quick search on Part searching. I would have to say that it was one of the little customizations where we got “great bang for the buck”. The basic search per below is very limited. The second screenshot, our quick search has been so helpful. We do have addtl material code/description info on our parts too, that’s what the other fields are about. So, doing a custom quick search to help people find things faster or even teach on using the “where part description contains” box at bottom of basic search, can help users tremendously in regards to parts.

One other suggestion, a dashboard for reviewing new parts entered can be helpful… We find this very useful since we have 3 plants all with need for uniform setup.

HTH! Nancy

6 Likes

Thanks! That’s a great idea! I think maybe I need to start a daily “Epicor tip” list and send to my users – wonder if they’ll read it? :slight_smile:

1 Like

No, but at least you can say you tried. (Been there…). I would still do it.

5 Likes

Thank you for the tip, Look at this @swetadafle

I might substitute developers for businesses in the quote above.
i.e. the businesses end up using & maintaining what developers are delivering?
The end result is basically the same but…

I thought this recent column was interesting, kind of related…

Bruce,
That could be a possibility, however Who authorizes Developers to create those UI and Platforms? Businesses if they are customizing, and Software Companies such as Epicor utilize their Customer base (Businesses) to help drive their needs and what will be purchased. Local, National, and International Industry requirements also drive specifics in the end product(s) as to features and a key one in the current century is ability to have access on Any Platform with little to No local device hosted program which is what the new Kinetic 2021 version allows for Browser based UI rather than a Client 400+MB file that could require updates every other week if you keep up with the Biweekly patch releases.
Many Stakeholders in the mix so Businesses, Developers, Software providers, and beyond to provide end solutions.

The old way of not keeping current on releases and becoming stagnant in technology has changed in the 21st century and Businesses have begun to realize this and looking for partners to help them keep current.

Great discussion point though.

Bill

Great job! We did something similar with a custom search for Quotes.

1 Like

I’ve put in several quick searches that help the users. They are easy to create and go a long way to get the users more familiar with what they can find in the screens.

1 Like