Can we create Kinetic Apps?

I have been watching the Kinetic UI change with interest and have managed to make a very simple Kinetic App. It is not easy at the moment as customers can’t access any of the documentation yet but I like to try these things out :slight_smile: . I also want to start learning the development environment so a small app would be a good place to dip my toes in.

I was wondering if customers are allowed to create their own Kinetic Apps (are there any license restrictions) and what the licensing restrictions are with regards to the Kendo UI controls Kinetic uses (there is a note on the npm package page for Kinetic)?

Cheers
Brett

There is no public ‘Kinetic Developer Guide’ available at this time. No announcements on roadmap either.

You obviously know that Kinetic is built on Kendo so if you are learning js, Kendo, Angular, etc and leveraging the REST APIs, you are probably doing the best to align at this time :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That doesn’t answer part of his question - do we have to be worried about lawyers coming after us?

The Note seems sufficient?

You can use the Kinetic Framework solely to create applications and/or customizations for Epicor software products. Use of the Kinetic Framework for any other purpose is strictly prohibited.

The Kinetic Framework uses the commercial version of Progress Kendo UI for Angular. To use the Kinetic Framework, a Telerik Kendo UI commercial license must be obtained for each developer. Kendo licenses can be purchased at Buy Kendo UI | Telerik. Your use of Kendo will be governed by the terms of Telerik’s Kendo license agreement. All development activities you undertake using the Kinetic Framework must be in strict compliance with the Kendo license agreement, including, without limitation, those terms regarding redistribution or sublicensing of the Kendo software.

2 Likes

Correct there will be more guidance about this coming and the public NPM package will be removed soon although would be available as part of an SDK in the future but critically for the vast majority of customers we see no need for the SDK or associated Kendo UI licenses as you will be able to do the same types of things you can do today in the smart client - more to be shared at Insights. If anyone would like to reach me to discuss feel free.

8 Likes

Ok, Stephen decided to commit to a roadmap announcement. #He’sTheBoss lol :wink:

5 Likes

Kinetic Preview Program FAQ for ERP 10.2.500.pdf (139.0 KB)

5 Likes

Thanks for the response’s everyone, I appreciate the openness.

Sounds like creating Kinetic Apps will be for those with the SDK (not me). For editing the Epicor created Kinetic screens we will have to wait and see what cool things Epicor have in store for us but some Angular / JS / TypeScript skills will come in handy,

Cheers
Brett

1 Like

And for those on the cutting edge, Blazer might end up being a more comfortable tool for the C# minded coder in a year or two.

We are building Kinetic like apps internally piping through BAQs via REST. It’s just straight angular and Kendo, wrapped in Cordova. Close enough to Kinetic, lacking only style and some of the special components Epicor has built on top of Kendo for themselves. All easily worked around. Complete with Firebase Notifications.

Practical implementation of it that we have setup. Got lucky and a machine went down while I wrote this :expressionless:

5 Likes

We are really hoping kinetic apps can replace our handhelds someday.

We use different software for our rentals business and have iPods attached to Bluetooth barcode scanners for our warehouse scanning functions (we attach iPod to scanner with this 3d printed thingamajig that one of our tech department guys came up with and printed for us). The iOS app connects to an internal “webserver” which hosts the back end of the app.

The iPod scanners have been a home run for users. So much easier to deal with (and much cheaper) than the intermecs we use for Epicor. I’d love to see us move all Epicor scanning to these iPods. But we need a kinetic iOS app that has all the functionality of our current handhelds…

You can’t use Kinetic per-say but you could use Angular, Kendo, and Cordova like Epicor does for Kinetic to recreate your existing apps on iOS

2 Likes

Sure, but that’s a bit beyond our internal capabilities… We’re waiting to see what Epicor has in the works for iOS apps. Looks like a handful have come out already, but nothing that could fully replace our handhelds.

I feel like others would be interested in this too…? Has anyone else on Epiusers been thinking / talking about this?

Kinetic is a UI framework that will be used to define and tailor the vnext Epicor. It wouldn’t really be an easy to use framework for app development like BuildFire or anything like that, that’s not it’s intended purpose. If you were to use Kinetic it would honestly be no different than using NgBootstrap, or Kendo UI. There would be some minor advantages to using the components developed by Epicor, but if you’re building something custom, honestly those otherwise advantages features, but just end up fighting you.

2 Likes

The problem with iOS is it is closed source so you are not going to see scanners from companies like Motorola, Zebra, Honeywell, or intermecs running iOS… whereas all of these companies already have scanners running Android. I’m sure at some point Epicor will get support for iOS but right now they are going to focus on a mobile platform that has the most versatility.

Have you looked at the new Epicor Mobile Warehouse module? Like Kinetic apps it only supports Android at the moment… but regardless it is a very compelling solution when it is paired it up with some of those Android mobile scanners.

https://www.epicor.com/en-us/resource-center/videos/epicor-mobile-warehouse/