Company setting for valid Part Number characters

Have a Company settings to restrict Part Numbers to only use specific characters.

Radio buttons for limit type:

• No limits
  • Numeric Only
  • Alphanumeric Only (includes '-')
  • Allowed (with a textbox to enter the allowed characters)
  • Disallowed (with a textbox to enter the allowed characters)

If you picked “Allowed”, you might enter the following the following:
ABCDEFGHJKLMNPQRSTUVWXYZ-0123456789
(Note that there’s no I or O in the text part, to avoid confusing I and 1 and O and 0)

we used to have Part Numbers with ', ", and # as part of the number.

And a couple of parts that use non-ascii characters. They use the “em dash” instead of a regular dash.

I would also like to add a limit for Uppercase Only
I’ve done several BPM’s over the years for the Uppercase only and allowed characters.
Looking back I’ve wondered if there was a better way to develop something like this in the UI but something built in, similar to Lot Number or SN Masks would be helpful.
People can come up with some crazy part number scheme’s and management often wants to have some governance over it. (once had someone spell out a bad word as a part number).

1 Like

Not as user-friendly but in a pinch one could put regex expressions in a user code or UD Field on the Company table and use that with a BPM.Update Data Directive. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Thought about that. Maybe “regex-like”. As Regex would specify an exact format.

• Regex-like: [A-Z0-9\-]

• only uppercase A thru Z, 0 thru 9, or dash. Any order, any count of each
  • Regex: [A-Z][A-Z]\-[0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9]

• two uppercase letters followed by a dash, followed by 4 digits
  • Regex: [A-HJ-NP-Z][A-HJ-NP-Z]\-[0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9]

• two uppercase letters (excluding I and O), followed by a dash, followed by 4 digits

Apart from the Regex stuff, add an option for the scope (Part table parts, vs On The Fly parts)

1 Like

Good idea Calvin.

I thought I had seen this already, but I guess it’s the Serial mask:

Never understood why it’s read only. But, then, I’ve never cared, either.

1 Like

Would you want it to ERROR if they entered the wrong values or have every screen skip invalid characters as they enter them into ANY part field? What sales orders and jobs? Configured Parts?

I see why this is a request, but it would potentially be very big.

1 Like