Configurator remaking BOM on reconfigure?

Enable Part Number Creation is related but not the same thing as Create Non-Configurable Part. But there’s another good example of the docs being subtly wrong. Enable Part Number Creation only means the part number on the document will be replaced by the part number generated from the smart string. Whether it’s a new part number each time you save the configuration depends on which smart string pattern you select. The problem with the MoM not being updated arises when it isn’t a new part number.

This is all totally within the design, except that certain smart string patterns don’t play well with the allow reconfiguration and create non-configurable part options. I wish they did, and I think they could, but for now I’ll just avoid those combinations. If they can’t be made to work, configurator entry shouldn’t allow them.

Kevin, Godspeed.

Coincidentally, we have a consultant visiting. He presented almost exactly what I’ve outlined here. He suggested not checking Use Quote Method and having the method rules operate on ECOMtl instead of QuoteMtl. That seems right, but does not work. Rules operating on ECOMtl have no effect on the created part. You have to use the quote method and quote entities even though there’s no quote involved.

Then beware that if you set QuoteMtl.QtyPer, it causes PartMtl.UOMCode to be reset to Part.IUM…

I believe this is if you use the Set Part Defaults code otherwise you can specifically set them similarly to the code I outlined above.

If the only rule in the entire configurator is QuoteMtl.QtyPer = 42;, it’ll change the UOM.