Connecting to an ODBC file for external BAQ?

Does anyone know if it’s possible to connect to an ODBC file when they are named like this for an external BAQ?

Taking Epicor out of the equation, can you create an ODBC Connection via Control Panel (Windows) to that file? If so, If I recall Epicor merely uses your ODBC Driver you configure via Windows on the Server in the end anyways.

If you can do it without Epicor using Windows ODBC Settings, then there is hope I guess.

Is that a Unity File? .matref = Material Reference? I wonder if thats just SQLite or XML

I looked in there, but the files don’t show up when I navigate to the location. I’m assuming it’s looking for a valid file extension to work. This program that I am linking into does whatever the hell it wants with file extensions, and I’m assuming it’s hard coded in the program. It’s a simple file.

Some of the information is in a SQL database, which I am already connected to, but this information isn’t. I can build my own cross reference with what I have, but I figured if they were already building the cross reference, why reinvent the wheel. (when the existing wheel sucks is why, apparently in this case)

So if you go to your Windows Create a DSN using Excel Driver or I think you can also select a CSV one, once you go to Add Driver (New Wizard). Looks like a csv file, once you can set that up I guess you technically could connect to it with External Data Source referencing your Driver in Connection String.

We have done something similar many times with VBScript

Set objConn = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
'objConn.Open "DRIVER={Progress OpenEdge 10.2A Driver};HOST=DELL-T710;PORT=9450;DB=mfgsys;UID=sysprogress;PWD=sysprogress;DIL=READ COMMITTED"

objConn.Open "Driver={SQL Server};Server=THINKSERVER;database=E10_Code;uid=sa;pwd=whatever"

EDIT you should be able to create a DSN using this Driver:

Then in Epicor under Data Source maybe pick OLEDB or ODBC

Then maybe populate the DSN (which you created on Server thru ODBC Administration 64-bit and 32-bit)…

Worth a shot? I haven’t done it via External Sources yet.

I know in BarTender I can leave all params blank and even use something in the form of:
It reads all the connection settings from DSN aslong as I dont provider the other keys.

objConn.Open "DSN={MyDSNNAme}"

What if you make a DSN on Server and get it to work with CSV and then just set the Dsn name in Epicor, leaving other vals blank

I can’t even add the file as a DSN because the ODBC system doesn’t recognize the file type.

Yeah, it’s looking for .txt or .csv

Looks like you can try to add them, but then it gives you this.

This all seems too fragile… I will just go about making the cross references myself. I have enough data I should be able to make it dynamic like I need.

Thanks for taking a look at it.

True…

The only thing I can find on it someone saying that their only solution was to rename the extension. Maybe you can run some .bat file that copies that file (a duplicate) to file.csv?

Or you find a 3rd party Text Driver

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/abc89e53-7088-4828-946a-51bea89a6e5d/custom-file-extension-for-microsoft-access-text-driver-txt-csv?forum=sqldatabaseengine

Might as well then make a UBAQ with a BPM in GetRows lol that Reads the file and merges to ttResult Tableset :smiley:

sounds like a lot of yuck…

All the file contains is a list of the part material descriptions and list of the system part numbers that the laser program uses. I have access to tables with the Epicor part numbers of the parts being cut and the laser program part numbers, so if I just bring in the laser nesting part numbers with my import already in place, I should be able to build the cross reference off of that. It’s just annoying.

1 Like

Service Connect? :smiley:

Agreed, Keep it Simple - Less Dependencies in the middle the more stable things will be.

And honestly if the shop would just stop making parts without a job number, or cutting parts that aren’t supposed to be on that job anyways, I don’t even need it. I just need a way to issue misc material when they do random crap that isn’t in the system… Garbage in, garbage out.

Haven’t read all the posts … But when I setup ODBC I have to use the SysWOW64 version of the ODBC control panel applet at

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe

that’s the program in the screen shots.

1 Like