Copy to Excel

Thank you for this, Tyler! I had this issue crop up for a seemingly random group of users and I really didn’t want to suggest that we start deleting recreating Domain users as some of the other threads suggested. This solved my issues!

excel.path.fix.txt (504 Bytes)

The repair did not work for us. Glad it worked for you! The reg fix is an easy one. Not sure what is causing the keys to delete though! We’ve had it crop up a few more times in the last week.

Yes, it is random. We have seen it pop up on a few other users here as well. About 5-6 total users now out of ~100 installations. Glad it worked for you.

I just had this happen again to one of the same users, FYI. not sure what is causing it.

I’ve been using the Update Now Under Account in the Excel App and have found a lot of new versions since this began for us late last week. Once the update is complete I then do a repair to the Office 365 Apps which restores the Export to Excel functionality. One of my first reported cases has finally been stable for more than 24 hours so I am hoping Excel has reached a stable release at Version 2203 Build 16.0.15028.20152 for the 32 bit install.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing this solution. I have reproduced the issue on Excel 64 bit 2203 and Excel 32 bit 2108. In both situations, a Quick Repair after the most recent update resolves the issue. Hopefully we won’t have to do this each time an update is pushed down via 365

1 Like

Thank you for the help.

I did the update first - that did not work.

I then did the Repair and that worked.

Thank you again,
DaveO

1 Like

We are having users where the office repair worked, but now it stopped working again. I’ll try out your registry fix and see if that holds up longer!

Quick repair is working for us now. That is a better solution that modifying the registry. The path to excel could potentially be different

1 Like

Thought I would throw in some info from one of my clients that might help in clarifying that the issue is probably more with Microsoft\O365 install than Epicor.
I have a client that is on Epicor 10.0 and have been since around 2015 I think.
Over the last 7 years they have ran into this issue from time to time and usually the scenario is that when they select ‘Copy To Excel’ with Excel already open it fails with an error that teh temp file could not be found. But if Excel is NOT open then Copy To Excel works fine.
They have not reported this issue over the last 3 years … UNTIL THIS WEEK and they are O365.

seems to be the case.

1 Like

Anyone else have ideas on this issue? I’m having the same thing happen. User goes to export from Epicor to Excel and it just hangs there. Excel never opens. That being said, Epicor does male the export to C:\Users\users_name\AppData\Local\Temp folder. From there we can open the export. Just wont open automatically.

1 Like

If there is a way to update the settings on Excel 365 so that it opens in a new Excel instance each time, I would very much appreciate if someone can share their method.

I’ve tried messing around with the registry keys to make it work but I wasn’t able to get Epicor to launch Excel in a new instance. It kept launching new instances if I open a file myself.

Managed to solve my problem today, here is what I did.

  1. Open regedit
  2. Navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Excel.Sheet.12\shell\Open
  3. Create key ddeexec. Set its default value to [open("%1")]
  4. Go inside new key “ddeexec”
  5. Create key application. Set its default value to Excel
  6. Create key topic. Set its default value to system
  7. Navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Excel.Sheet.12\shell\Open\command
  8. Make sure default value ends with → Excel.exe" /dde

If there is anything else, remove it
This solves the problem to .xlsx files. Did the same on “Excel.Sheet.8” key to solve the problem for .xls files.

1 Like

Also, I tried the next on a different computer and worked as well:

  1. Exit all instances of Excel.
  2. Start Registry Editor:
  3. Locate and select the following registry subkey: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Excel\Options
  4. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then select DWORD Value.
  5. Enter DisableMergeInstance, and then press Enter.
  6. In the Details pane, right-click DisableMergeInstance, and then select Modify.
  7. In Value data, enter 1, and then click OK.
1 Like

Thank you I will try this!

Hey Moreno,

thank you for sharing your solution!

I was wondering if you could share a screenshot of the keys you’ve setup. I tried to follow your instructions as much as I could but I am not sure if I’ve done it right because it didn’t really work for me. I think i may have misunderstood key application and key topic steps.

Thank you in advance!

Just throwing this on this Thread.

@jgiese.wci and I had an issue where Copy to Excel would create the file, but never actually open Excel.

Turns out if you have no Printers or your Default Printer is not accessible, there will be a silent exception happening in the Classic Client.

3 Likes

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
I had this on a few users back in September last year but couldn’t find any solution that worked!
I revisited this today as someone new reported it, changed the Default Printer to a the OneNote one… worked straight away!
Thanks you again… :grinning: :grinning: :grinning:

1 Like

Brilliant, I’ve just fixed 2 PC’s which had issues with this. Set the ‘Microsoft Print to PDF’ as the default printer and started to work immediately. Thanks for posting this!

1 Like