Costing issue

You all have been so wonderful answering my questions - especially advising when it is a known bug. I’m hoping you can help again…

At the end of last year, I updated the standard cost of purchased items via Cost Adjustment. I assumed it was ok since I saved and didn’t receive an error message. Consequently, I didn’t go back to review the items again. I’ve now discovered that the cost didn’t “stick”. When I run my Stock Status report, the standard cost showing is the “old” cost. However, when I look at the Transaction Log in Cost Adjustment, it plainly shows where I “removed” the inventory at the “old” cost and “added” it in at the “new” cost. An example is below…

I updated standard purchased costs in the new system in December. Looking at the transaction log, you can see where I “took out” the old cost and “put in” the new cost. See below as an example….

12/21/2016 ADJ-CST 700281 STEEL 52100 HR 28.5MM D B-STK**~ 146.53 L-INCH 0.29151 0 0 0 0 42.715
12/21/2016 ADJ-CST 700281 STEEL 52100 HR 28.5MM D B-STK**~ -146.53 L-INCH 0.5513 0 0 0 0 -80.782

It took out the 146.53 inches at $0.5513/inch and changed it to $0.29151/inch.

Anyone have any idea why the stock status report - run AFTER the change - still shows the $0.55/inch???

Thanks so much!!

Tricia

Hi Tricia,

Are you running the stock status as of today, or are you back-dating it?

Ken

For this example, I changed the costs on 12/21/16 and ran the stock status at year-end on 12/31/16. Looking at the part as of today, the standard cost shows $0.55 on both the report and the cost screen.

For clarification, when I ran the SS report on 12/31/16 - it also showed the $0.55 standard cost rather than the $0.29 I’d changed it to just 10 days earlier.

My initial though was an issue caused by back-dating the report – something that SS does not handle well. The fact that you run the SS today for today’s date and still get the wrong cost is concerning and I have not seen that as an issue before.

If you go to the Cost Adjust screen and bring up the part, what shows as the cost under the column for Standard?

Ken

Ken,

It has reverted back to the $0.55 amount.

Thanks

Tricia

Well, I’m not sure how it could have done that, but that is definitely the problem.

Was a second cost adjustment done at some point? I have never seen it change without someone doing either a cost adjustment or posting a cost rollup.

Ken

In reading this thread, I just wonder whether you’ve got a mismatch in the cost methods.

You said that you updated the STD cost, but check for each Part what cost method is configured on the Plant/Site tab. The cost method on the front page of Part Maintenance is only a default, the one that actually applies is the one on the Plant/Site tab.

I think also on the Stock Status report it should show cost method.

Regards
Mark

Ken,

I’m the only with system authorization to update costs.

Mark,

Plant/Site tab also shows Standard cost.

This has me totally perplexed. I updated quite a few costs that day - these are the only 2 I’ve found so far that didn’t “stick”.

Thanks!!!

Tricia

Hi Tricia,

Can you send me the PartTran records for the 2 ADJ-CST transactions. Please include all the fields.

Ken

Ken,

Do you want just a copy/paste like I did initially? Thanks!

Tricia

Tricia and Ken

Were you able to figure this out? We are having a similar issue; we updated the standard coat and then rolled it. When we look at Part Cost Details in Part Tracker, it, too, shows the “old” cost on the Part Costs Details tab (db field: PartCost.StdMaterialCost).

However, the BOM Cost report has the “new” cost and reflects the correct current cost. I have no idea where the BOM Cost Report gets its information. Ideally we would like data source of the BOM Cost Report to also populate the Cost in the Tracker.

We tried to roll the new cost several times but when I look at PartTran, I see 10 rows. The first our are in/out transactions for two bins. The next four have no quantity or UOM. the last two are the only ones with a costID. They show a positive quantiy, but no negative quantity. And nowhere in the file do I see any reference to the new or old cost.

Thanks so much.

—sam