Creating a site to manage zero cost parts

Hello All,
We are in the process of moving inventory from another system into epicor. We are a rental company, so we rent parts, service them, and then rent again. Once they are used the first time, their cost goes to zero. We have historically kept the new parts from manufacturing in epicor with their costs, but moved them to another service system once they are pulled from new inventory.

Here are the main goals, I’m looking for any insight if others may have done somthing similar:

-Hold one site/warehouse as new inventory parts with their associated costs from manufacturing

-create another site for the used parts, and transfer them into this site once they are used and returned from job. At this point, the costs would need to be set to zero. OF course, it woudl be great if the costs were automatically set to zero upon transfer into the used parts site, so people don’t forget to adjust the cost.

-Each site could have the same part number, but the new serial numbers would be in the new parts site and the used serial numbers would go in the used parts site.

-I have been researching site cost and cost ID but I am confused as to when and how to use these in this application. The same goes with costing workbench and how they would all tie together.

-How can i get the parts in the used site to show up under costing workbench? When i created the used parts site/warehosue, a search for parts in the used parts site showed no results. Do you have to set up parts in both sites somehow?

Any comments/insights are much appreciated!

We don’t have multi-site, but I think this would work the same. We have parts we want to expense at receipt so we set those as standard costed with zero as their cost. We have the ppv account set to the expense.

You could have the same part, but have the used site at zero standard cost, so when the serial number is returned there it would remove the cost and put that value whenever you point the variance account unless you just return it at zero and the first job absorbed the cost.

You would have to setup the part in the other site, but sometimes those things are set behind the scenes on the first transfer or transaction…

There are lots of posts about making warehouses that I think would also apply to making sites with bpms.

Thanks for the reply! I think im getting stuck on setting up the parts properly in the new site, I’m trying to understand how parts may need to be setup in this zero cost site to make this work.

If you are not standard costed try the site cost as standard with a standard cost of zero.

Then you will need a site GL control to move the cost to the account you want.

The nice think about this setup which our first Epicor consultant Paul Gardner showed us is that normal transactions handle the process without custom work.