Crystal Reports

Got a weird Crystal Reports issue. We have a report share where we put custom crystal reports. Domain users have read/write access to the share and the reports folder. In Company Maintenance we saved a username/password in the ODBC settings to use with the Crystal Reports. When a user runs the report, they leave the box checked to use Default Username/Password. When the report runs it prompts for username and password.

ReportPrompt

If you click Cancel, you get the error below. If you enter the password for that user same error. The username/password work in Crystal and just in SSMS.

The ‘reports’ user has SQL access as a datareader/datawriter on the database the Crystal Reports is pointing to. The strange part is that if I run the report as an ERP admin and SQL admin it works. But if I make the user that’s running the report a SQL admin it still doesn’t. Have tried adding them as admins on the SQL server and the Epicor ERP servers. Doesn’t make a difference. Still unable to run the report. Crystal Reports runtime is installed. Out of ideas on this one. Anyone else have anything?

ODBC

First off, is this something that was working, and now does not? Or is the initial attempt and haven’t got it working yet?

Is E10 just the source of the data, and a CR viewer is used to run/preview the report? Or is the report being launched by E10?

What is the source of data for these Crystal Reports? An ODBC connection to the E10 DB?

First attempt to get this working. Worked on it all day yesterday trying to get it to work. The E10 database is the source with the report being launched from the E10 menu. The report is being displayed with the default E10 Crystal Report viewer. The database source is just an ADO connection in the report. If you run the report outside of E10 with a Crystal Reports viewer it prompts for username/password. If I enter the same username/password that’s setup in the E10 Company Maintenance it runs fine.

So …

• You want to run the report outside of E10
  • Running the report outside of E10 causes users to be prompted for the password
  • Entering the user name and password only works for some (just you?)

Is that all correct?

No…

• We want to run the report within E10 (Have a menu item for the report)
  • Running the report outside of E10 prompts for password because of the ADO connection. When running from within E10 the username/password should be passed from Company Maintenance.
  • Entering the password outside of E10 works fine. If we enter the same username/password when prompted from running within E10 it doesn’t work.
1 Like

@ckrusen and @chaddb I was just revisiting some of our crystal reports before an upgrade. Is there documentation on using this ODBC field in company maintenance for crystal reports?

Is that how it is intended to be used?

You say it uses an ADO connection, which is for the XML based data generated by an RDD or BAQ report. Is the ODBC just for a subreport or something?

Does the odbc in company maintenance work for sub reports @ckrusen ?

@utaylor - I’m not sure where I picked up that we could use the ODBC field in Company Maintenance. I think someone on here mentioned it. Or it was in an Epicor Doc that I found. Is that not how you have your Crystal Reports setup?

@ckrusen - It’s an OLE DB (ADO) not a regular ADO.NET (XML).

Not right now, no. But if it does use that user and pass that would be cool.

What connection method are you using?

We are using ADO.

Same thing we are then it sounds like. And you can get your reports to run from the E10 menu?

Annotation%202019-11-26%20085908

If you use the same username and password you used to make the connection in the crystal report are you getting the same error?

It just keeps prompting and never will run. We know the username/password is correct as it works in other Crystal Reports viewers.

Do you have the SQL Server Native Client installed on your client?

Looks like I do. As does another admin where the report works. Looking at a user workstation where the report doesn’t run. They don’t have it installed.

We had to install it on all client machines.

The SQL 2012 Native Client or the newer ( Microsoft OLE DB Driver for SQL Server) one?