Custom Inventory Solution

I got this idea from @TGCTSE - Thanks Terry.

I’ve made a custom inventory solution. It is essentially a 5 step process:

1. Scan items in bins
  2. Analyze data - recount as needed (process inventory when ready)
  3. Remove excess items from bins (place into LOST bin)
  4. Adjust actual quantity against LOST bin based on Count vs E10 qty
  5. Reconcile bins by correcting deficits with items in LOST

When all is done - E10 matches your counts at the bin level. LOST bin will have 0 items in it.

Caveats - I have not handled LOT TRACKED items yet.

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions, or warnings are welcome and appreciated.

1 Like

Hello Chris,

Our consultant created a custom inventory upload tool that handles all of the tagging behind the scenes. It takes me less than 10 mins to upload and post an inventory count. This program was very expensive, but well worth it in our business. I would be more than happy to connect you with our consultant for a quote and if you would like we could set up a screen sharing session and I could show it to you.

Thanks,
Joe

Joe thanks for the offer but my version is free since I made it :smiley: . Also, I don’t bother with the mess of generating and finagling tags. Very expensive you say? Sounds like I should be selling them HAHA!

Excellent! Thanks for replying.

What are you using for scanners on the shop floor to do this?

The cheapest possible :slight_smile:
https://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics-Bluetooth-Supports-Computers-Wireless/dp/B00MPD19FA/ref=pd_rhf_ee_p_img_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=ZBWD2NRVA7EM2S107N0Q

Any will work.

Do you have a computer at every bin location to plug those scanners into?

Basically, how are you moving around the shop floor to gather the information?

We have a bunch of ms surfaces we use. If we run out of those we can use laptops or even android tablets (with RDP)

Can you have multiple users out there scanning at the same time? Do they all run the same program you showed in the video, or do they have a simplified interface just for scanning items in bins?

1 Like

Any number of users can scan simultaneously. They all use the program I demonstrated.

For the finished product, I will be hiding most of the stuff except scanning (and a few tools for them to check their progress) from standard users. Only an authorized power user will be able to access to nuclear launch codes (and see more detailed records)

If one scans an existing part\bin combination, it will overwrite the last count for that part\bin - but I do store historical last 3 counts.

Nice, I like this solution a lot. We (I) have pretty much said that a full physical inventory here is basically impossible because, while we might be able to have everyone count everything in a few days, reconciliation would take weeks to go through all of that information. We just basically rely on a simplified cycle count program which admittedly has some holes in it. This would allow us to get back up and running again after a physical over the weekend and we would be ready to go on Monday.

What are your thoughts about sharing/selling this program?

1 Like

@Chris_Conn, @Banderson please take this offline if you are going down the path of buying selling things.

Thank you

1 Like

For any interested, inventory finished up today without a hitch. The program successfully adjusted qty and reconciled all bins. Woohoo!

@Banderson I’ll get you this initial copy so you can do some additional testing on it.

1 Like