Custom Kinetic Application Base layer not available to another developer

While training my fellow developer this morning on using Application Studio, we discovered that when he clicks the “Base” link of a custom dashboard that I built he does not get the Modify Designer “Use Base” or “User Layer” options. Instead he is forced to create a new layer.

I could not find anything within his user account that is different from mine, so it appears that a user can only ever access the Base kinetic layer if they are the one who built the custom application? Is that correct, as far as anyone here knows? Or is there something I’m missing to turn on for his account that he can access the Base of my applications, if there is ever a reason that he needs to?

2 Likes

I’m also seeing this in 2023.2. Have you found out any more information?

I never did, have since left that company, and am now with a company on an older version so I cannot test it out.

@FObilo are you able to open any base layers in Application Studio for custom dashboards that I built?

I’ve spent the last hour looking into this…

I found the Javascript in the browser that is invoking this dialog, it looks like they have set it so only the author can modify base of their app.

This gave me the idea to force CanAccessBase to true for all Non System apps.
I did this by creating a post processing BPM on Ice.Lib.MetaFX.GetApplications with the following code:

foreach (var row in result.Where(o => o.SystemFlag == false).ToList())
{
    row.CanAccessBase = true;
}

Dialog now shows!

Use at your own risk, but this works for us for the time being.

I have created an Epicor idea to hopefully have this as default behaviour in the future. Please vote if this interests you.
https://epicor-manufacturing.ideas.aha.io/ideas/KIN-I-4434

1 Like

Kids, this is why we do not enforce security at the client. :rofl:

2 Likes

Marked this as the Solution and voted on your Idea. Great investigative work!

1 Like

@d_inman -I am just seeing this.

I am not able to open any of the Base layers for those dashboards. I am having to create a new layer to make any changes.
All Base Layers appear to not have the edit option but have delete option.

hollywood data GIF

The person at Epicor who developed that piece of code.

Here is the Admin Response on Idea KIN-I-4829 put in by @aosemwengie1 about this:

This functionality already exists but is slightly different than in the smart client dashboards. You must use Security groups.

Owner of the application can share the Base application editing by applying a security group to the application, steps would be like

1. Click on the Properties Link of base application

2. New slider would be displayed to choose the Security Group

3. Save application and Publish. All the users part of the selected security group would be able to modify the application.

Of course, that doesn’t work if that owner is longer employed/have access to Application Studio. I commented on the Idea about that to see what they say/if they respond.

They won’t - once they mark it already exists nobody looks at it. Very frustrating and I 100% agree with your point.

I tried that in our Pilot but I never got the prompt.

Ok I rewrote it a different way. Maybe now it won’t get shut down immediately.
https://epicor.ideas.aha.io/ideas/KIN-I-4863

3 Likes

Voted!

There’s also another Idea out there input by @mbayley for this, too, that so far as not been shot down. KIN-I-4434

3 Likes

Voted for both.

2 Likes