Customization - Handheld Scanner with Suffix to Trigger Code

Hello,

I would like to setup a handheld barcode scanner with a Suffix key (for example a TAB or Enter), have a user scan a barcode, the data would be entered into a UD field, and the (TAB or Enter) Suffix would trigger custom code to be executed. I’ve been trying to use the Event Wizard to accomplish this but I can’t figure out which Available Control Event would work and the ones that I’ve tested don’t seem to be working the way I would assume. Can anyone suggest what Control Event might be best for this situation?

I feel like this is a basic custom programming question but I’m still new to custom coding and slowly learning little by little thanks to all of you guys and gals and your posts on here. You don’t even know how helpful you all and this site has been! But I think it might be time to cozy up to the EpicorCustomization_UserGuide and the EpicorICETools_UserGuide…just looking for an easy answer shout-out if one was available.

Thank you for any help, thoughts or ideas anyone can provide,
-Heather

It’s been years, but iirc when we did this we embedded a TAB it into the barcode itself. I did a quick google search to make sure I wasn’t crazy (though the jury is still out on that) but looks like you can:

1 Like

Dan removed it, but he is right, scanners do have a setting to do a TAB after scanning a barcode as well. Probably a better idea

2 Likes

I think i mis-read the question. I think you are looking for On_Leave of the field to execute the custom code.

2 Likes

Yes @duckor, I guess I am actually looking for an On_Leave of sorts. Feeling limited by the few options I had to program a Suffix on the handheld scanner I was trying to make it more of a specific trigger like a TAB or an Enter and just couldn’t think of it any other way.

But now that I think about it if I use an On_Leave trigger (I’m assuming the Leave Control Event in the Event Wizard) then I could still program the handheld scanner with a TAB suffix and once the scanner tabbed out of the field it would trigger the On_Leave code…I’ll give it a try!
Thank you!

And thank you @Randy! I really appreciate you both taking the time to help me and the information you provided too! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is probably a little on the advanced side, and I’m not sure what limitations the handheld menu’s have, but this is an example of listening for a barcode and triggering the start of the process with a special key. When it’s done this way, the field doesn’t have to be selected, since you are capturing the string outside of the controls and programmatically filling in the value. I think it can end up being more user friendly but the development is definitely more involved.

2 Likes

I have to be honest that I don’t care for the embedded tabs solution in general. Sometimes the UI lags and you lose flow control and have to start over.

I always imagined a more general purpose solution where you had a process that listened to the barcode (instead of a key-wedge) and it would intelligently parse the read and then feed the data to the proper UI elements. No timing issues, easily split multiple fields from a single scan, remove indicating characters from data, etc.

Food for thought…

Mark W.

3 Likes

True. This was a few years and Epicor companies ago. :wink:

3 Likes

I never thought about listening for a barcode. That would be great to do for us, but that would require so much re-work. Maybe on the next project with fresh barcodes i might give that a shot.

2 Likes

We’ve all been there Randy! You know, Haso was mentioning what seems like a local web connection to the client. That would make something like an external reader way easier to do. It does fit with the connected factory theme too. We’ll see…

1 Like