Dashboard grid cell Open With

In a Dashboard grid cell, I have a custom UD field I want to populate with a GLAccount. I set the extended properties of the UD field (like GLAccount) and it does launch the “Open With --> General Ledger Search”. However, the selected value does not return to the grid cell. How can it accept the value?

Alternatively, can a GLAccount masking be put in the the grid cell and I could write a BPM to verify the value entered is valid.

I really don’t want this to be just a text field.

DashboardGridOpenWith

You can customize your dashboard with events. The thread below shows when I learned to make these events. You’ll have to either find an adapter that handles the GL codes, or make a BAQ that searches for them and run a dynamic query to return a list (or no) to validate the text.

Alternatively, you could make the grid field a dropdown instead of a text field, which would automatically validate because they have to pick from the list.

All of the this will take at least some coding (maybe not the dropdown :thinking:) , but it’s not incredibly difficult. You will need to deploy your dashboard as an aassembly and customize though.

edit
Also, relating to your first question about the context menu, does a search function show up in that list? That’s how you would return the value.

Yes, the Open-With → General Ledger Search does launch and I can see the available GL Accounts. I pick the one I want, but it does not return the value to the Grid Column cell.

I know I have done this in a UI form and just picked the “GLAccount” control and it just worked, no coding involved or at least it was very minimal.
I think I am just missing a step.

If you change the sort by to the second option, does it work? I’m wondering if it’s trying to return just the natural account section of the number, and not the whole GL account.

I think you’re going to have problems trying to get the GL Acct Search to return a value compatible with the UD field (an nvchar, I assume). GL accts are made up of a combination of the segments, and the GL Search probably returns those segments, with a GL Control (UI control) the intended receiving control.

At best the GL Acct Serach might be able to return the field GLAaccount.GLAccount. And then youd have to change the built in separators (a '|' - pipe char) to the character you use. Looks like a dash in your settings

Yep, I think you are absolutely correct about this one. I recall this being very simple in the UI forms because its got its own control.

I will play around with this some more in the Extended Properties. If all else fails, I can just validate the account in a BPM and remove the text if it fails. It doesn’t matter to me if it returns “-” or “|” in the segment separator, but right now it does not do anything.

I really didn’t want to get into writing Grid cell events code when I thought it was going to be simple.

Yes! “That’s the ticket!”. So, if I moved the [GLAccount] field over to be the first column, then it populates the field (albeit with a pipe symbol, not a hyphen).

So, how do I make the [GLAccount] to always be the default first column when the Search is launched?

All you did was drag the column over and it worked? Wow, that’s surprising to me. I was thinking that if you changed the sort by radio button to the GL Accounts Starting at, it would do that, but I thought there was more involved in the background than simply moving the columns over.

I’m not sure how to make that stick. I’ve never done.

1 Like

I too am surprised at this behavior. Looking up the GLAccount table in the data dictionary, shows that it is a primary key.

But never thought the order of the columns affected the returned value