DMR Disposition for Debit Memo or Returns to Vendor when Selling Part Number is Different

I’m trying to figure out how to process RMA’s all the way back through to returning product and/or getting credit from a vendor. Our problem is that the Purchasing Part Number is a primary component of our Sales Part Number (Listed in the BOM of the FG Part Number). If the item in question is a straight Purchased Part, I haven’t any issues processing it all the way back through; however, a number of our parts are packaged after purchase before being sold, with packaging listed along with the primary Material component within the BOM, and processed through Jobs after receipt.

This is where it becomes a dilemma, because the RMA Receipt gets processed, through Inspection, into DMR - and that part number doesn’t always correlate directly to the Purchased Part Number.

We have the basic Quality Assurance module. I’m just trying to figure out how to deal with this in the least complex manner possible. Does anyone else have this similar issue? Ultimately I’d like to tie Customer Return transactions all the way back to supplier reimbursement; but not certain if it’s even possible without somehow backing it all the way through the “manufacturing” process, which takes the purchased part and transforms it into the FG part.

Any thoughts would be welcomed.

Not sure if I described it clear enough, and I can always try to clarify a bit more if need be.

The only process I can think of would be to disposition the RMA to a job which creates co-parts (in other words dissembles the parts). The result would be the purchased part and any additional parts. Put them into inventory and then do
an Inventory Non-Conformance. This will take you back through the DMR process you can then scrap the part with a reason code of Return to Vendor.

Because the DMR is not PO related, you won’t be able to process it as return to supplier with a debit memo. Return it to the Supplier with a Misc Shipper and have Finance create the Debit Memo after you discuss the situation with the Supplier.
No sense in creating a debit memo if they will send you a replacement.

Charlie

@CTCharlie,
I like the thought, and I think manually linking it back to a PO is actually doable once the Raw has been processed into DMR.

I don’t even think I need to do the co-parts thing; as I can just do a “Rework” job transforming the FG back into the Raw Part Number, but instead of reporting a completed quantity and receiving it into Inventory, just Non-Conformance the entire quantity directly from the job… which will move the parts directly into the Inspection Queue, and then Fail the parts from there into DMR. Reject action in the DMR, linking it there to a PO…

I need to test it out. If it works the way I am envisioning the process, I’ll come back and lay out the step-by-step process. Thanks for your thoughts! They’ve got my mind thinking along lines I hadn’t thought of previously.

Hi @TDudek,

Were you ever able to get a good process laid out for the issue you brought up here? We have something similar going on ourselves with the DMR process related to FG made up of multiple purchased parts. Wondering if you found a good process flow and would be willing to share what you’ve settled on?

Thanks for any insight.