DMT Versions - known bugs

A new problem has occurred for DMT.
The error.txt that is created when loading a file has a new format. Instead of a single line, multiple lines per error is created that describes in more detail the issue(s) that prevented the import row to import.

Epicor has created a problem support ticket to change this - PRB0214446

Would be nice if they would roll back to the way it was for a quick fix, then look at how to have the more detailed format selected.

I really do not like that, either. It adds an extra step to match up the error with the data.

Speaking of
 it sure would be nice if there was a way to sync those without copy-and-paste. It is a pain to open two files when you have a lot of (different) errors. One pre-consolidated file would be nice.

2 Likes

Ditto. I used to copy the error lines and paste them into the re-process csv, then sort by the error. Then batch fix each error type
 Now there are a few more steps to get there. How about make it tab delimited?

We are migrating to the Public Cloud (10.2.500) and I am trying to fire up DMT to push data into my Pilot cloud database. I followed the (old) standard instructions and copied the 10.2.400 DMT client executable and config file into my C:\Epicor\ERPDT\Client-Pilot folder along with the license file. Did not work. Then I researched and found the ReadMe file saying the DMT was included in the client folder automatically.

Any ideas how I can get the client folder back to how it should be? Reinstall the smart client?

You need to copy 3 files

DMT.exe
Epicor.DMT.dll
YourLicense.lic

Got it working. Had to uninstall and reinstall the Smart Client in order to get the distributed DMT executable and config files back. I did have to re-copy the DMT license file into the Client-Pilot directory, but only this one file is needed in 10.2.500

Contact Customer Service or your CAM
You need to have your license updated and sent to the cloud team to have the license applied.
On the user - go to options and go near the bottom of the list of check boxes and check DMT user.
You won’t need the license in the client file anymore.

1 Like

Lately “Description” is required for deleting or modifying some records with DMT. This is really troublesome for me. We often have to mass-update a UD field on Project, for example. I think it’s pretty absurd to have to export the description of every project and re-import it just to update an unrelated field.

I put in a ticket today and was told “this is by design.” Honestly, he was sympathetic but said it’s all or nothing on required fields–if required on add, it’s required on update/delete. Or it would require extensive additional coding, I think is implied.

I feel like that was not always true, but we are on 10.2.500 now so I guess I can’t revert to an old version.

Point is, should I push the description-required issue with support?

Edit: Who am I kidding? I am always going to push an issue with support.

1 Like

Would an updateable BAQ + REST work?

Hi Jason,

We have seen in older versions (E9 and E10) of DMT that Desc was noted “required” on some templates
 but when you uploaded it didn’t really have to be in there. Are you basing the need for Description on an actual Fail of the DMT without it, or on the template required fields?

Nancy

Does it mater if the description in your DMT file matches the existing description field? If not, just make the column in the DMT file and fill it with “DELETED”

It would really suck if it must match before the delete will work, I bet everyon has at least one record with description containing an odd character that an Excel or CSV file doesn’t handle well. Like TAB, CR, LF, RS, or even unicode characters that might not be represented the same way ( °, ±, Âź, ©, ℱ, ℩, etc 
)

@richardh I hadn’t tried yet. Certainly crossed my mind with the uBAQ (have not done a REST update personally before). I really just want the DMT to work smoothly.

@Nancy_Hoyt Good point, but yes it actually fails on import (see pic at end of this post).

@ckrusen Right, for deleting, a bogus description works fine (just tested it with JobMtl). My problem is updating. I want to update a UD field in Project without being required to populate the project description with what it already is.

1 Like

Yeah that is the bigger issue. Lots of tables have some required field like a Description, that you want to leave alone.

The logic in DMT should be that required fields are only required for new records. Let the BO handle updates, that can’t complete because of incomplete info.

1 Like

Funny thing is, the Part DMT is just fine.

I get a processing error when I skip description on a new record

but it lets me delete without error:

(FYI I had to put in class in the new record because of a BPM I created.)

I was just testing Part updates, and see that the “Required columns” are only:

Exactly.

Hi Bruce Larson,
Sorry to bother you. I have the same problem when upload BOM. Cause of disjoin maintance I cannot download DMT version 4.0.35 from Epicor. Would you mind email the files to my addess bosswin.hk@outlook.com? Many thanks!!!

Which version of Epicor are your running.
Because the way revisions for DMT are managed, it’s a combination of Epicor and DMT.

1 Like

I have DMT 4.0.38.0 for 10.2.300 that cannot upload BOM. Would you mind send me DMT 4.0.35.0 for 10.2.300? Many thanks!!