Docstar / ECM question

Hi all,

We’re about to implement Docstar/ECM integrated with Epicor Kinetic (10).

I’m looking for a way to find out when an invoice has completed the workflow. Then, find that invoice’s final PDF, and get enough information about it (vendor number, dates, etc.) so that I can rename the file and copy it out of ECM/Docstar to another area.

I’m proficient in C#, SQL, etc. so any tips/hints you might be able to point me in the right direction would be appreciated. I’ve reviewed the “DocStart Integrating with DocStar ECM Advanced Solutions” but it’s shockingly light on information. So far URL retrieval of a document seems like the best way to get the document; it’s the search and gathering other information where I’m lacking.

Regards,
-J

Ice.SysTaskParam would be your friend I think.

Do you mean the ECM workflow, or the ERP ‘workflow’ of getting cash applied and being closed?

The answer depends on a lot of things - like when are you checking, how do you know when to check? Those sorts of things. Are you going to check for completed invoices once a day or some other trigger?

yes - all the ECM documentation is light, but it’s got enough to get you thinking.

I think either could be accomplished by a SQL query. The ‘workflow step’ field of the Document (in ECM) would become blank when it’s no longer in the workflow. The 'Open" field in ERP would get flipped to ‘closed’ (it’s a checkbox/bit field if I’m not mistaken). There’s more to work with but that’s the basics. And once you have a bit more detail to work with, we can provide some options.

Another user here created a process to similarly copy/remove docs out of ECM to another location recently. Keep searching for it. @JerseyEric @gpayne @utaylor Do you guys recall this? I can’t find the posts.

@MikeGross I only see post about managing this from the Epicor side which is what I would do. ECM is good at getting files in and managing them in ECM, but not really about getting them out.

@jreynolds I’ve seen you on some of the REST threads and if you are good in C# that is where I would do this process. Either with or without the REST helper in a bpm or a scheduled ubaq or function.

To Mike’s point when do you want to make this transfer?

If I was doing this I would only transfer posted invoices and add either a checkbox or a transfer date to APInvHed or APInvDtl to show which had been processed This already has all of the invoice details, but there is a download metadata method if you wanted what ECM had.

I also found they have a DownloadFileFromDocumentStorage which when I tested in the rest help brought back both ECM and file server documents from only XFileRefNum.

1 Like

@MikeGross, @gpayne @Hally , thank you for your input and time and help.

I believe the way we’re going to do this is our consultant is going to create a trigger within ECM to output the .json and PDF (invoice) to a folder when the invoice is posted in Epicor. I’ll then write some code to review the .json file and pull out the needed information (vendor id, invoice number, etc.) and rename the file and move it to the proper location.

Once I understand more about what/how he does the trigger event, I’ll come back and follow up here so we’re all “in the know”.

Regards,

–J