E10.1 - Change Column Format Through Interface

Thank you all for the replies.

I guess it makes sense to not make the field directly maintainable - after all, if a version release has a database update, it could well and truly truncate existing data.

UD fields are definitely an option, I was more hoping that I could somehow get a solution through what is already there (in the form of the existing field).

Thanks again for all the suggestions, I appreciate it!

Kind regards,

Dave.
1 Like

Hey all,

Been at this one for a while, searched till I couldn't search anymore.

I am trying to extend the length of a nvarchar(x) field in the QuoteHed table. Basically, currently it is nvarchar(10), and I need to extend it to 30 (ie. nvarchar(30)).

I've had a look in the Extended Properties Maintenance form, and changed the format to x(30) - that's changed the input length ONLY on the form - not in the database - even after regenerating the data model.

Anyone have any suggestions how I can achieve this?

Kind regards,

Dave.

This is not doable/supported

On Thursday, September 1, 2016, dkarszni@... [vantage] <vantage@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Â
<div>

<p></p><p><span>Hey all,</span></p><p><span><br></span></p><p><span>Been at this one for a while, searched till I couldn&#39;t search anymore.</span></p><p><span><br></span></p><p><span>I am trying to extend the length of a nvarchar(x) field in the QuoteHed table. Basically, currently it is nvarchar(10), and I need to extend it to 30 (ie. nvarchar(30)).</span></p><p><span><br></span></p><p><span>I&#39;ve had a look in the Extended Properties Maintenance form, and changed the format to x(30) - that&#39;s changed the input length ONLY on the form - not in the database - even after regenerating the data model.</span></p><p><span><br></span></p><p><span>Anyone have any suggestions how I can achieve this?</span></p><p><span><br></span></p><p><span>Kind regards,</span></p><p><span><br></span></p><p><span>Dave.</span></p><p></p>

</div>

<div style="color:#fff;min-height:0;"></div>

--

Jose C Gomez
Software Engineer

T: 904.469.1524 mobile

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

In short, you can’t do this.

I had a similar challenge with Project Description in project entry when we were on E9.
I used Character01 as the new field to capture project description and then created a BPM to truncate the field to a length that fit into the base Description field. I then made a UI customization that hide the base field and displayed the new field.

This still works in E10.
I don’t know if that will work in your scenario.

JOE ROJAS
Epicor Applications Manager
VENTION MEDICAL + DESIGN & DEVELOPMENT
DIRECT: 508.597.1392 x1625 | MOBILE: 774.826.9245

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 01, 2016 1:37 AM
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Vantage] E10.1 - Change Column Format Through Interface

Hey all,

Been at this one for a while, searched till I couldn't search anymore.

I am trying to extend the length of a nvarchar(x) field in the QuoteHed table. Basically, currently it is nvarchar(10), and I need to extend it to 30 (ie. nvarchar(30)).

I've had a look in the Extended Properties Maintenance form, and changed the format to x(30) - that's changed the input length ONLY on the form - not in the database - even after regenerating the data model.

Anyone have any suggestions how I can achieve this?

Kind regards,

Dave.

This communication may contain information that is confidential, proprietary or exempt from disclosure, and is intended only for the use of the individual and/or entity it is addressed to. If you are not the intended recipient, please note that any other dissemination, distribution, use or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by telephone or by return e-mail, and delete this information from your computer.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
As Jose mentioned extended properties doesn't/can't change physical limitations of a field.  So in the case of a string you are limited to its underlying definition which includes the number of characters.  For a number field you can change the format as long as you don't exceed the range limitation of the field.  For example PartMtl.MtlSeq is an integer field that out of the box is four digits, but you can expand it to say six digits since that will not exceed the range limitations of an integer.

A caution though, even though the extended properties can be expanded there may be a program limitation in that the program expects a field to be within a specific range and going outside that range may cause an error.

Jim Kinneman
Encompass Solutions, Inc.
1 Like