E10: Computer requirements for a developer

Does anyone know if Epicor has a computer requirement to be able to do customizations? I just switched jobs and at the new company the Epicor software has been freezing up on me. I only have 4Gb of RAM. Is that enough?

If your goal is to have a reason for your new employer to purchase a more robust system for you, you could say that a support engineer recommended the following build for your needs–I don’t have any problems with customizations :slight_smile: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8vfDD8

Practically speaking, 4GB is on the low end of what I would consider reasonable for a “superuser”. As long as your OS is 64bit, I would recommend at least 8GB of RAM and for functions within Epicor that might cause the memory consumption of the epicor client .exe to get close to 2GB, using the 64bit Epicor client (changing your epicor shortcut to use epicor64.exe instead of epicor.exe) would be recommended as well.

2 Likes

Are you using a common dev server or do you have the full stack running local to your box? (IIS& SQL Server)
Are you doing any direct coding - C# in Visual Studio/Code?

1 Like

I have the full client installed. As of right now, I am not building anything out of Visual Studio. I will be soon I think.

Looks like black Friday was the day to buy all of the stuff for that computer!

That when I purchased it :slight_smile:

In addition to enjoying the sub-zero temps and feet of snow every year, the Epicor Minneapolis, MN office has the added benefit of being only 6.1 miles away from a Microcenter. They had a really good bundle deal on Black Friday on Ryzen CPU + motherboard. On top of it, they price match Amazon.com, so I was able to walk out with most of what I wanted in one trip.

NOTE FOR OTHERS: that system is nuts for this use case. There aren’t many situations in which someone needs 16-cores/32GB RAM for a workstation.

1 Like

2 Likes

You have the full client. But not the full server?

Thank you for pointing out my typo. My apologies all, what I meant to say was that all IT people, DBAs, ERP admins, developers, and anyone who considers themselves a “superuser” need at least 16-core/32GB of RAM/TBs of SSD storage on their personal workstation at work to be even remotely productive in a business environment.

2 Likes

Sorry for not understanding, I do not do the IT hardware/Admin stuff for the company. I am just software. We host it on site. There is a dedicated server for Epicor in-house, but when you say “Full server”, I don’t know.

The MSI - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Video Card surely makes the UI look fabulous :smile:

From the sizing guidelines:

You could point out that the 4GB / add ram for other apps is exactly that. If you are using outlook, word, etc then you are using other apps.

We have never broken out ‘designer’ type requirements. I cannot remember anyone ever asking - dev box with VS, etc sure - but just the regular client? Honestly that’s a first for me personally.

And this is a minimum. Your usage will vary based upon the workload, etc.

Hope this helps!

Yeah, my wallet doesn’t call it a benefit. I will go into Microcenter for an HDMI cable and walk out with a new keyboard, raspberry pi, 3 spools of filament and some SD cards because they were cheap.

3 Likes

As for running just the client we generally set people up with 8GB ram when on Win7 or above. I’m on a Surface Pro 4 with Outlook, Chrome and Epicor Part Entry open with Customization up and am hovering at 6.5GB used RAM. It goes up to 7.2GB when I open Visual Studio and a small solution.

Also noted this is with Epicor 32bit.

We manage with 16GB RAM and SSD drive to host development VMs for developers so each individual could have his/her own environment to work and break the system thereby not affecting the production system.

Recommended best practice is not to allow direct development on the production system and always have separate development, test and production systems. Going from development system to production is also risky.

Regards,
Nikhil

1 Like