E10 Environments

How many people have separate servers for their different environments? PROD, DEV, Test, etc. Currently, our test and production environments are on the same server. This has worked fine until recently. I was working on applying the 10.2.400.18 update to test when something went wrong and the admin console wouldn’t connect and I couldn’t launch the E10 client. Luckily, after several hours I was able to get the issue resolved and bring test back online. But it got me thinking. What if I couldn’t have gotten test back online and needed to take the server completely down. Production would have gone down with it. Just curious what others do.

• Same Servers
  • Separate Servers

0 voters

How about separate VMs on the same server/cluster? Cloud?

1 Like

Should have clarified. Yes, talking in terms of VMs. On-prem.

we use test and training on same vm, and prod has it’s own. But before our upgrade, all 3 were on the same…

Pierre

At a previous employer we started out with all on the same VM, but later decided to split them up. I’ve started to do the same now for other systems too. SQL Server, other server-based applications.

We were lucky we never ran into an issue similar to what you experienced. Glad you got it sorted out.

I’ve also recently put the Task Agent service on a separate VM too. It seems to help performance.

@andrew.johnson How did you put the task agent on a different VM? I am looking to do the same but not sure how to do that. I am new to VM and never had to do this before.

You just install the Epicor Task Agent Windows Service. But might as well make it also another AppServer, install Epicor as you did on your first server, admin console etc… pointing to the same Database and then you can have 1 Task Agent process stuff for Server1 and other one for Server2.

Basically, you install another Windows OS on a new VM.

1 Like

This exactly. We call it a task server but it’s really an instance of E10 with the task agent installed. Our main app servers don’t have the task agent installed.