E10 - Product Configurator

Thanks for the review and details, Brenda. Very helpful.

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 24, 2014 1:45 PM
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [Vantage] E10 - Product Configurator

Some of the issues I have come across & not conquered:

1.        You cannot skip pages (ie SetNextInputPage(10)) ~ responselooks like we are missing this function in E10. As a workaround you skip the in between pages:  Pages.2.Skip  skips page two. Pages.2.Skipping returns a true or false which can use to determine if a page is skipped. ~ If you get this to work, let me know!

2.       The database access is not available in Page.Load.

3.       Email from inside the configurator.  (I was given a “work around”, but I think it was written in a forgotten dialect of Sanskrit)

4.       Getting to data from other configurator sessions.  (NOT wanting to create my own UD_table, but…)

Other issues I “got around”

5.       They give the option of “out” & “ref” on methods, but I sure can’t get them to work with more than one field returns.  I created a workaround by passing a single delimited string and then parsing it.

Awesome New Features:

1.       You can make your own popup forms

2.       Buttons are Awesome ;)

Brenda J. Mohr

Humtown Products

44708 Columbiana-Waterford Rd.

P.O. Box 367

Columbiana, Oh 44408

Phone:  330 482-5555

Sent: Tuesday, June 24, 2014 1:19 PM

Thanks for the updates Brenda.
Our configurators also have a ton of custom code.
Would you be willing to share the details of the SCRs that were created or at least the SCR numbers so that I can look them up?

Joe Rojas | Director of Information Technology | Mats Inc
dir: 781-573-0291 | cell: 781-408-9278 | fax: 781-232-5191

addr: 37 Shuman Ave | Stoughton | Ma | 02072-3734
jrojas@... | www.matsinc.com
Ask us about our clean, green and beautiful matting and flooring

[cid:05405c.png@5f663b83.4c8c31ef]
This message is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company.

Sent: Tuesday, June 24, 2014 1:11 PM

We are re-writing ours at the moment. We have an extreme amount of custom code. Many of the new features are really nice, but there are a lot of oddities with almost no documentation - it took me a minute to get thru them. The first week I jumped in got us 3 new SCRs. A lot of what I need / requested will not be available until E10.700. Overall, I am liking it much better than E9 (minus 1 issue being worked on by engineering at the moment).

Brenda J. Mohr
Humtown Products
P.O. Box 367
Columbiana, Oh 44408

Phone: 330 482-5555

Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2014 2:44 PM

One question I’ve wondered is if it is possible for the configurator in E10 create multiple line in the Quote/Order.
For example, one of our configurators in E9 allows the user to create multiple cuts from a base material. Right now that translates into a quantity of 1 on the line and the notes are generated to list all the cuts.
It would be great to have the configurator create a line for each cut size and the line quantity would be how many of those the customer wants.

jrojas@...<mailto:jrojas@...> | www.matsinc.com<http://www.matsinc.com>

[cid:78d9f2.png@da82cb1b.42a4b6ca]
This message is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company.

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com> [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2014 12:33 PM
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com>

At our local EUG Wendy Sanders was there, and said you are just better off starting from scratch for two reasons. One is the code conversion for ABL to C# is an OK start but mostly works for crap. Two the added abilities of PC should make you want to start from scratch because they can be built faster and better.

Joshua Giese
CIO

Direct: 920.593.8299
IT Dept: 920.437.6400 Ext. 337
Site ID: 27450-E905700B2-SQL64
Wisconsin Converting, Inc.

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com> [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2014 11:15 AM

We are also looking to move to E10 from 9.05.700C P64 and we use the product configurators.

We have heard a mixed bag on migrating configurators. The quick answer is what Jose stated. When you start asking more details about the actual migration process it sounds like it is somewhat like the process of transferring ABL programming code. There may be snippets of ABL configurator code that can be run through their code converter and used. It may not be 100% but could get you a start. There are other pieces that just will not convert and need to be reset. There may also be new features in E10 that you want to use and converting would not use those features so that would be a decision to rewrite to use the new feature. Lots of work either way.

Brad Boes

Metalworks

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Just reading the agenda items for Insights.
I’m reading that the configurator is moving to C# in E10. I’m excited and I hope this translates into a significant performance increase!

[cid:53c5cc.png@290e345a.41978268]

Hmmm... moving to C#? Does that mean anyone migrating to Epicor 10 will have to rewrite configurators from scratch?

Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:57 am (PST) . Posted by:

"Joe Rojas" jagojoer

Just reading the agenda items for Insights.
I’m reading that the configurator is moving to C# in E10. I’m excited and I hope this translates into a significant performance increase!

This email has been filtered by SMX. For more information visit smxemail.com
>>migrating to Epicor 10 will have to rewrite configurators
In the last online seminar I remember they'd provide tools for converting configurations & BPMs.
I didn't hear whether these would be included or were purchase items.

Is anyone out there on E10 that has upgraded from a previous version and also heavily rely on the Product Configurator?

We rely on the PC module heavily and I'm curious about comments regarding the upgrade from 8.03 or 9 and how good or bad the Prod Cfr upgraded. 

TIA.

VicÂ
Per Insights it just won't upgrade. You have to re-do them all

Jose C Gomez
Software Engineer

T: 904.469.1524 mobile

E: jose@...
http://www.josecgomez.com

Â

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 8:24 AM, 'Vic Drecchio' vic.drecchio@... [vantage] <vantage@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Â
<div>

<p></p><div><p class="ygrps-yiv-585372554MsoNormal">Is anyone out there on E10 that has upgraded from a previous version and also heavily rely on the Product Configurator?<u></u><u></u></p><p class="ygrps-yiv-585372554MsoNormal"><u></u>Â <u></u></p><p class="ygrps-yiv-585372554MsoNormal">

We rely on the PC module heavily and I'm curious about comments regarding the upgrade from 8.03 or 9 and how good or bad the Prod Cfr upgraded.Â

Â

Â

TIA.

Â

</div>

<div style="color:#fff;min-height:0;"></div>

I thought I heard that…. Ugh.Â

Has anyone done this? I also heard it's much easier, more intuitive to configure than previous versions.

Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2014 9:19 AM
To: Vantage
Subject: Re: [Vantage] E10 - Product Configurator

Vic 

Per Insights it just won't upgrade. You have to re-do them all

Jose C Gomez

Software Engineer

T: 904.469.1524 mobile

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 8:24 AM, 'Vic Drecchio' vic.drecchio@... [vantage] <vantage@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Is anyone out there on E10 that has upgraded from a previous version and also heavily rely on the Product Configurator?

We rely on the PC module heavily and I'm curious about comments regarding the upgrade from 8.03 or 9 and how good or bad the Prod Cfr upgraded. 

TIA.

We are also looking to move to E10 from 9.05.700C P64 and we use the product configurators.

We have heard a mixed bag on migrating configurators. The quick answer is what Jose stated. When you start asking more details about the actual migration process it sounds like it is somewhat like the process of transferring ABL programming code. There may be snippets of ABL configurator code that can be run through their code converter and used. It may not be 100% but could get you a start. There are other pieces that just will not convert and need to be reset. There may also be new features in E10 that you want to use and converting would not use those features so that would be a decision to rewrite to use the new feature. Lots of work either way.

Brad Boes

Metalworks

At our local EUG Wendy Sanders was there, and said you are just better off starting from scratch for two reasons. One is the code conversion for ABL to C# is an OK start but mostly works for crap. Two the added abilities of PC should make you want to start from scratch because they can be built faster and better.

Joshua Giese

CIO

Direct:     920.593.8299

IT Dept:   920.437.6400 Ext. 337

Site ID:    27450-E905700B2-SQL64

We have heard a mixed bag on migrating configurators. The quick answer is what Jose stated. When you start asking more details about the actual migration process it sounds like it is somewhat like the process of transferring ABL programming code. There may be snippets of ABL configurator code that can be run through their code converter and used. It may not be 100% but could get you a start. There are other pieces that just will not convert and need to be reset. There may also be new features in E10 that you want to use and converting would not use those features so that would be a decision to rewrite to use the new feature. Lots of work either way.

Brad Boes

Metalworks

One question I’ve wondered is if it is possible for the configurator in E10 create multiple line in the Quote/Order.
For example, one of our configurators in E9 allows the user to create multiple cuts from a base material. Right now that translates into a quantity of 1 on the line and the notes are generated to list all the cuts.
It would be great to have the configurator create a line for each cut size and the line quantity would be how many of those the customer wants.

Joshua Giese
CIO

We have heard a mixed bag on migrating configurators. The quick answer is what Jose stated. When you start asking more details about the actual migration process it sounds like it is somewhat like the process of transferring ABL programming code. There may be snippets of ABL configurator code that can be run through their code converter and used. It may not be 100% but could get you a start. There are other pieces that just will not convert and need to be reset. There may also be new features in E10 that you want to use and converting would not use those features so that would be a decision to rewrite to use the new feature. Lots of work either way.

Brad Boes

Metalworks

There still is a one to one relationship between a configuration and an order line in E10 but you can add a BPM or other code to create the other lines when the configurator exists.  This is possible in both E9 and E10.

Jim Kinneman
Encompass Solutions, Inc

We are re-writing ours at the moment.  We have an extreme amount of custom code.  Many of the new features are really nice, but there are a lot of oddities with almost no documentation - it took me a minute to get thru them.  The first week I jumped in got us 3 new SCRs.  A lot of what I need / requested will not be available until E10.700.  Overall, I am liking it much better than E9 (minus 1 issue being worked on by engineering at the moment).

Brenda J. Mohr

Humtown Products

P.O. Box 367

Columbiana, Oh 44408

Joshua Giese
CIO

Brad Boes

Metalworks

Would you be willing to share the details of the SCRs that were created or at least the SCR numbers so that I can look them up?

We are re-writing ours at the moment. We have an extreme amount of custom code. Many of the new features are really nice, but there are a lot of oddities with almost no documentation - it took me a minute to get thru them. The first week I jumped in got us 3 new SCRs. A lot of what I need / requested will not be available until E10.700. Overall, I am liking it much better than E9 (minus 1 issue being worked on by engineering at the moment).

Brenda J. Mohr
Humtown Products
P.O. Box 367
Columbiana, Oh 44408

Joshua Giese
CIO

Brad Boes

Metalworks

Some of the issues I have come across & not conquered:

1.        You cannot skip pages (ie SetNextInputPage(10)) ~ response:  looks like we are missing this function in E10. As a workaround you skip the in between pages:  Pages.2.Skip  skips page two. Pages.2.Skipping returns a true or false which can use to determine if a page is skipped. ~ If you get this to work, let me know!

2.       The database access is not available in Page.Load.

3.       Email from inside the configurator.  (I was given a “work around”, but I think it was written in a forgotten dialect of Sanskrit)

4.       Getting to data from other configurator sessions.  (NOT wanting to create my own UD_table, but…)

Other issues I “got around”

5.       They give the option of “out” & “ref” on methods, but I sure can’t get them to work with more than one field returns.  I created a workaround by passing a single delimited string and then parsing it.

Awesome New Features:

1.       You can make your own popup forms

2.       Buttons are Awesome ;)

Brenda J. Mohr

Humtown Products

P.O. Box 367

Columbiana, Oh 44408

Sent: Tuesday, June 24, 2014 1:19 PM

Brenda J. Mohr
Humtown Products
P.O. Box 367
Columbiana, Oh 44408

Joshua Giese
CIO

Brad Boes

Metalworks