E9: Delete an unposted Time and Materials Invoice

Sure. Since the Project module wasn't really flexible enough and forgiving enough on errors we switched to doing most of our billing through miscellaneous sales orders. Here is a screen shot of our sales order header screen. Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet. Basically our process is for the service or sales team to enter all the info on the sales order. I have them put the project id, product group, and whether or not it's billable on the header. Then i carry this through to each line. 
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet.
Preview by Yahoo

Once they are ready to do billing, they click the invoice now checkbox. That sends it to a dashboard that our Accounts Receivable group looks at. The create misc invoices and all they have to do is enter the order number and line number. So it goes quicker for them.Once it's on an invoice, it disappears from the dashboard.  It also allows us to easily correct any billing mistakes in the event there is one. (Note: i also wasn't a fan of how cumbersome, complicated and inflexible the drop shipment process was in Epicor. So we handle all that through misc sales orders/invoices as well). Once the Sales order is entered onto the Invoice i have a few bpms which accomplish the following: 

1. Close the Sales Order

2. Update the Project Contract Amount

To tie all the data together, I have a custom Project Costing report, that ties  together data from PO, Receipts, AP Invoices, AR Invoices, Job adjustments, Labor and the GL. 

For our major construction projects that we work through the project fixed fee billing, I put a large note on the Fixed Fee invoice review. I also have a BPM Message Confirmation Box popping up as a second level of verification that everything is correct. 

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet.
Preview by Yahoo

Overall i've found the AR side to be pretty inflexible, which I guess part of me understands. It's needs to be pretty strict to prevent fraud and theft, but it really doesn't allow for people to make any mistakes. 

-Bobby 

---In vantage@yahoogroups.com, <jorojas@...> wrote :

Hi Bobby,

I’d love to learn more about the challenges you’ve had and the customizations that you put in place to manage them.

JOE ROJAS
Epicor Applications Manager
VENTION MEDICAL
DIRECT: 508.597.1392 x1625 | MOBILE: 774.826.9245

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 14, 2016 2:41 PM
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Vantage] Re: E9: Delete an unposted Time and Materials Invoice

Joe,

Been down that road with Epicor. There is no way to delete a project billing invoice once generated. It has to be posted and then adjusted down or issued a credit. I don't know what they were thinking when programmed it like this. The problem with doing this is that it screws up revenue generation and the invoice to date amount in your project entry program.

I make a bunch of customization to the Project Invoice Approval program to require additional validation and such before the invoice is created. I also found that if you run everything though a sales order and enter a project ID on the sales order line. this ties it to the project billing and revenue generation if you just generate a misc Invoice instead of a project invoice. Those are much more forgiving. You can also add BPMs here so that each sales order entered automatically increases your contract value. Then you can tie it all together pretty easily through reports.

We're a construction company so a lot of the canned epicor stuff for accounting didn't really work the way we wanted it to. Let me know if you have any other questions.

-Bobby

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Hi All,

E9.05.702A

I posted a separate issue with not being able to post a T&M invoice but I thought maybe something was setup wrong so I decided to delete the unposted invoice from Invoice Entry but when I try, I get an error that says: “Not allowed to delete. Invoice is generated for Project Billing.”

Is there another way to delete an unposted T&M invoice other than from inside Invoice Entry?

JOE ROJAS

VENTION MEDICAL

Advancing Your Innovations For Health

261 Cedar Hill Street  |  Marlborough, MA 01752
DIRECT: 508.597.1392 x1625  |  MOBILE: 774.826.9245

EMAIL: JoRojas@...  |  WEB: ventionmedical.com

THINK QUALITY. BE QUALITY. GO BEYOND.

This communication may contain information that is confidential, proprietary or exempt from disclosure, and is intended only for the use of the individual and/or entity it is addressed to. If you are not the intended recipient, please note that any other dissemination, distribution, use or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by telephone or by return e-mail, and delete this information from your computer.
Joe, 

Been down that road with Epicor. There is no way to delete a project billing invoice once generated. It has to be posted and then adjusted down or issued a credit. I don't know what they were thinking when programmed it like this. The problem with doing this is that it screws up revenue generation and the invoice to date amount in your project entry program. 

I make a bunch of customization to the Project Invoice Approval program to require additional validation and such before the invoice is created. I also found that if you run everything though a sales order and enter a project ID on the sales order line. this ties it to the project billing and revenue generation if you just generate a misc Invoice instead of a project invoice. Those are much more forgiving. You can also add BPMs here so that each sales order entered automatically increases your contract value. Then you can tie it all together pretty easily through reports. 

We're a construction company so a lot of the canned epicor stuff for accounting didn't really work the way we wanted it to. Let me know if you have any other questions. 

-Bobby

Hi Bobby,

I’d love to learn more about the challenges you’ve had and the customizations that you put in place to manage them.

JOE ROJAS
VENTION MEDICAL
DIRECT: 508.597.1392 x1625 | MOBILE: 774.826.9245

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 14, 2016 2:41 PM
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Vantage] Re: E9: Delete an unposted Time and Materials Invoice

Joe,

-Bobby

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]