ECM - Advanced Math Expression Documentation

Map out what you want to do and what your constraints are and I’ll see if I can be of assistance.

I don’t see any task/command to do that in the workflow. I was looking for Print, Export, Save As, or anything close. Seems that all of those functions (that are controlled by security) are not available in the Workflow. I did see an Email task - it doesn’t put the document where you want it, but it’s the only way to get them out of ECM that I can find.

I’ve not gone through the ECM Api yet, so I’m wondering if Automation Studio could be leveraged for this. the basic stuff they provide allows ECM to send to Studio and trigger a recipe, but we’d have to figure out the ECM API that Studio could call to cause ECM to Export a file. Studio won’t see your local storage or anything, so it would have to be ECM doing all the work locally.

(Is your ECM in the cloud? this might not work at all)

1 Like

Someone was saying that to use the API you needed to pay more $$$

@klincecum Thanks for the offer but I think we will have to go the Application Studio route for this one, unfortunately.

@MikeGross Our ECM is On Prem. I was having the same thoughts about having to use Automation Studio. I did look through everything I could find in ECM and didn’t see anything anywhere to export a document automatically. The only thing I could find was to export them manually (which we are already doing).

@utaylor I would suspect it would cost us something to use Automation Studio. Nothing comes free :wink:

Well I was saying to use the API for ECM.

1 Like

here:

Maybe it has changed, but anyways…

1 Like

This specific statement → App studio or automation studio?

1 Like

Oh geez…gonna be a longgggg day…lol! I meant Automation Studio. Time for me to go back to bed :sleeping: :rofl:

Thanks, Utah! I remember seeing this post but forgot all about it. This will come in handy for another project we are working on with drawings! I’m going to share it with one of my colleagues that is giving me a hand with ECM.

@utaylor – There are many valid reasons to want to have the ECM workflow export a document to a network drive. Some of those reasons might make “document mgmt. system” purists cringe, because exporting documents goes against the core notion of using the document mgmt. system as the sole repository.

I faced this need 2 years ago. It’s a long story too (see way below), but essentially we used DocStar IDC & ECM as an integration, or interface, mechanism to ultimately import Sales Orders (header & detail lines) into a transportation mgmt. system for the trucking industry. But we also needed to upload the Sales Order PDFs onto the Sales Orders imported into that transportation mgmt. system.

@Beth, my DocStar professional services partner / consultant told me there was no way to get the ECM workflow to export the document to the network folder. So I got creative: I had my ECM workflow e-mail the document to a new, dedicated e-mail account. Then I used a 3rd party app/service on one of our Windows servers to access e-mails in that new account and download any PDF attachments from the e-mails to a network folder. And that was NOT a one-time thing. The 3rd party app/service was scheduled to run routinely (i.e. every 5 minutes), check for new e-mails, and download any PDF attachments. The 3rd party app/service was GearMage Mail Attachment Downloader (MAD).

FYI – I wanted to use Microsoft Power Automate to do the automated downloads instead of GearMage MAD. But Power Automate seemed – out of the box – to be able only to download e-mail attachments to OneDrive, but not to Windows network folders.

Additional Explanation: For each Sales Order PDF, we used IDC’s OCR engine to strip about 14 Sales Order header fields and 6 Sales Order detail fields. Then once the document was sent to ECM, the ECM workflow called a custom SQL stored procedure to create a tab-delimited text file to import the order into the transportation mgmt. system.

But importing the Sales Order via text file was not enough. We then needed to upload the Sales Order PDF onto that imported Sales Order transaction in the transportation mgmt. system as supporting docs for customer invoices. In fact, the Sales Order PDFs were automatically appended to the customer invoices, but only if the Sales Order PDFs were uploaded (manually or automatically) to the transportation mgmt. system.

Without getting into the weeds . . . adding a link from the transaction in the transportation mgmt. system to the “source” Sales Order PDF in DocStar ECM would not suffice.

1 Like

Brother?

Chris Farley Brother GIF

Thanks, @JerseyEric !!

I have forwarded this information to my teammate who is working on this solution with me.

Beth

Hey Beth,

May I ask, why a network drive?

If you have 365, you may want to consider using a SharePoint Document Library. These can be sync’d back to local drives - if necessary. :thinking: They also give you the added benefit of search, meta data, security, traceability, data loss prevention, etc. - features not easily accessible on a company’s Novell Network Share.

shots fired oh snap GIF by Barstool Sports

1 Like

Hi Mark,

It’s because that is where all the invoices are stored currently when they have been input to Epicor. We are not completely on ECM for all of our invoice types, but will be by the end of the year. This will all become a moot point when that happens. For now, AP doesn’t want half in ECM and half on the network drive (it’s too tough for them to handle that), so they requested a way to save automatically to the K drive when it’s processed through ECM.

Beth

I think they could attach the document to the invoice from invoice entry as a docstar document and then it would be in ECM and in the file share the same way it is now, would that work?

I see. Can you place them in a folder at the ECM client and have the client copy it to the K: drive after being imported to ECM? You just need the XML file to give it the invoice number, customer number, etc.

BTW, it is possible to pull reports down from Kinetic using PowerShell. This is just an proof-of-concept if you know the SysRowId, but that could be looked up. You don’t have to push things through ECM, you can pull them too.

// Get Epicor Credentials. Boo. Use token auth instead.
$pscred = Get-Credential

$headers = @{ 'accept' = 'application/json'
              'Content-Type' = 'application/json'}

$rpt = ConvertTo-Json(@{ sysRowId = 'SysRowId here'})

$result = Invoke-RestMethod -uri "https://server/instance/api/v1/Ice.BO.ReportMonitorSvc/GetReportBytes" -Method Post -Credential $pscred -body $rpt -Authentication Basic  -Headers $headers

$filename = "path to K: drive with file name"

// Convert back to binary
$bytes = [Convert]::FromBase64String($result.returnObj)

// Write file to disc
[IO.File]::WriteAllBytes($filename, $bytes)

You could use a script like this to pull down the invoice, copy it to the input folder for ECM, then also copy it to the K: drive. Or let APS send it to ECM and then use this to copy to the K: drive afterwards. You have options.

Wait. These are AP invoices. Since they are already PDFs, you should be able to use the ECM client to load them, no?

2 Likes

No, you can’t from ECM. There is a manual way to export but not an automated way :frowning:

Not export, but import. I seem to recall that the ECM client can run a post process and you could copy the file to the K:.

BTW, I may not be understanding the workflow.

1 Like

Ah, so you are saying that when we import the document to IDC, then copy it to the K drive as well, correct?

That may work too. I’m not familiar with IDC, but at some point you have to import into ECM. That’s where I think you could shim in the copy. @MikeGross or @gpayne would know for sure.

1 Like