EDA End User Feedback / Demo

I would also be in if this hasn’t happened yet.

Michele

Sorry Michele, it was yesterday afternoon.

Do you have any specific questions? most of the folks on this thread were in the demo so any one of us could give you an answer or an opinion.

We have EDA and use it for limited reporting. We ran into issues with it for our team wanting to use it as a BI tool not just analytics. It does not do some of the functionality that our executive level team is looking for around business intelligence so we will end up using another tool for that.

It is fairly quick to implement and the support was great for our implementation process. It just isn’t probably the tool that we need long term from an overall solution stand point.

I agree @lindsayc - tools have there specific uses and pros/cons. In trying to limit the various tools in use, we’ve come to the agreement that

• BAQs and Dashboards are really for ‘live’ data - Jobs in progress, shipments ready to ship, etc.
  • EDD is for a month/quarter of ‘analysis’ - more of the BI tool for us. Even though we have a few dashboards that look at a long stretch of data still…
  • EDA is the management tool. Long term analysis, financial statements, budgeting, etc. This allows us to keep the costs down since EDA license are not cheap.

Was this session recorded by any chance?

@emarkus - I’m sorry, it was not. I’m not with Epicor or the Phocas group, so this was a totally ad-hoc meeting for folks on the site who wanted to attend by a couple of us who could answer questions.

1 Like

Mike, would you be will to do another demo or at least discuss with my company your experience with EDA? We purchased it, but have not completed the steps to roll out the site. Our company also bought licensing for PowerBI, so we are trying to see if both are needed. I’m somewhat familiar with the strengths of each, but do not want to find our power users building the same reports in both environments.

I can do that Eric. There are some obvious differences between the two, though. I can’t demo PowerBI for you, but here are my thoughts

PowerBI is definitely a more open system given all the options behind it on the Azure platform - but there is also a lot more work and the authoring of things is much different. There seems to be a lot more visualizations available - but I must say I’ve only really investigated the desktop version, not the cloud version.

EDA is simpler in all it’s forms, but I think it’s a better platform for controlled what-if inquiries of the ‘single version of the truth’. Once you’ve set it up, variations on visualizations and dashboards are much simpler for end/power users to create and maintain without IT’s help. That’s why/what I’m trying to do with our self-service reporting initiative.

email me (mgross@ashworth.com) and we can set something up.

1 Like

Thanks Mike. Sent you an email and looking forward to see what EDA can do.

Just wondering if there is a recording of this demo anywhere?

Cheers

There is not, sorry. We might be able to arrange something for you guys if you want to chat.

Give me a call, I know the EDA Experts :wink: