EDI 856 Auto-Print

This Convo was very useful! i am setting up BAM for my documents and didnt think of this problem as our warehouse does the same thing! thank you guys!!!! loved it! Will make sure Epicor and TIE take this into account.!!

Vantage 8.03.408A Progress

I am trying to figure out the best way to trigger the 856 (ASN). The only way I know of to automatically trigger the ASN output is through a BAM auto-print. Only a BAM for the ShipHead can be used to generate the ASN, but shipping sometimes has to unship/unfreight because of changes or mistakes. So I am afraid to trigger it from the shiphead because I would either get multiple ASNs for the same shipment, or the wrong information.

I am wondering how other Vantage EDI users are auto generating their ASNs?

I have a system in place now that sends out ASN emails (not EDI 856) when the invoice is created for the shipment. This works well, but won't work for the EDI ASN because it is 4GL code based off the invoice creation and nothing I do in 4GL will trigger the BAM Auto-Print. I thought I could trigger the BAM when the ShipStatus on the ShipHead changes to Invoiced, but that doesn't trigger the BAM either.
At our company we were just trying to figure this out as well for the same reason you listed below. Currently, our shipping dept will unship/reship multiple times due to changes or mistakes. We have decided to go ahead with it anyway and explain to our shipping department that they MUST double and triple check the packing slips before clicking them shipped since the ASN will auto-generate at that time.

As a sidenote, most of our customers accept a "resend/replace" ASN with a special code that is changed to represent that it is a retransmit. Therefore, if a packing slip is unshipped and reshipped, since this will be the second time the ASN goes out, our mapping handles the change of the retransmit code based on a counter in eVision. So basically if an ASN is generated more than once, eVision automatically changes to show a resend/replace flag on that ASN. We did not do the mapping in house so I'm not totally sure how this was handled, but let me know if that will help you and I can try to look into it.

-Adam

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "Steven" <sgotschall@...> wrote:
>
> Vantage 8.03.408A Progress
>
> I am trying to figure out the best way to trigger the 856 (ASN). The only way I know of to automatically trigger the ASN output is through a BAM auto-print. Only a BAM for the ShipHead can be used to generate the ASN, but shipping sometimes has to unship/unfreight because of changes or mistakes. So I am afraid to trigger it from the shiphead because I would either get multiple ASNs for the same shipment, or the wrong information.
>
> I am wondering how other Vantage EDI users are auto generating their ASNs?
>
> I have a system in place now that sends out ASN emails (not EDI 856) when the invoice is created for the shipment. This works well, but won't work for the EDI ASN because it is 4GL code based off the invoice creation and nothing I do in 4GL will trigger the BAM Auto-Print. I thought I could trigger the BAM when the ShipStatus on the ShipHead changes to Invoiced, but that doesn't trigger the BAM either.
>
We use the BAM autoprint, but have two UD checkboxes for "cancel' and
"replace" - so the shipper has to check these boxes as needed, which map
to the replace element in EDI...

We also only send every two hours (at this time) - or manually send if
needed between - so we do have the ability to remove any autoprinted
ASNs within the two hour time frame.

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
Of Steven
Sent: Thursday, January 14, 2010 2:50 PM
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Vantage] EDI 856 Auto-Print

Vantage 8.03.408A Progress

I am trying to figure out the best way to trigger the 856 (ASN). The
only way I know of to automatically trigger the ASN output is through a
BAM auto-print. Only a BAM for the ShipHead can be used to generate the
ASN, but shipping sometimes has to unship/unfreight because of changes
or mistakes. So I am afraid to trigger it from the shiphead because I
would either get multiple ASNs for the same shipment, or the wrong
information.

I am wondering how other Vantage EDI users are auto generating their
ASNs?

I have a system in place now that sends out ASN emails (not EDI 856)
when the invoice is created for the shipment. This works well, but won't
work for the EDI ASN because it is 4GL code based off the invoice
creation and nothing I do in 4GL will trigger the BAM Auto-Print. I
thought I could trigger the BAM when the ShipStatus on the ShipHead
changes to Invoiced, but that doesn't trigger the BAM either.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
Another thought -- you should be able to have an AND clause in the BAM looking for ShipHead.Invoiced = true before it will fire. I would think that would work. If you can't get that to work, I can play with it on my system to see if I can make it work.

-Adam

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "Steven" <sgotschall@...> wrote:
>
>
> I am trying to figure out the best way to trigger the 856 (ASN). The only way I know of to automatically trigger the ASN output is through a BAM auto-print. Only a BAM for the ShipHead can be used to generate the ASN, but shipping sometimes has to unship/unfreight because of changes or mistakes. So I am afraid to trigger it from the shiphead because I would either get multiple ASNs for the same shipment, or the wrong information.
>
>
> I have a system in place now that sends out ASN emails (not EDI 856) when the invoice is created for the shipment. This works well, but won't work for the EDI ASN because it is 4GL code based off the invoice creation and nothing I do in 4GL will trigger the BAM Auto-Print. I thought I could trigger the BAM when the ShipStatus on the ShipHead changes to Invoiced, but that doesn't trigger the BAM either.
>
The problem with this idea is that when the BAM is fired on the "Ready to Invoice" flag, nothing will happen because it hasn't been invoiced yet. When the Invoice is generated and the shipstatus is changed to Invoiced, the ShipHead BAM is not triggered, so again nothing happens. I think that if you select shipstatus as one of the fields in the ShipHead BAM then it should fire when invoicing changes it, but in my testing it didn't.

We also use eVision, so I would be interested in how the map is set up to determine if its a duplicate/retrans of a previous shipment.

Sent: Thu, January 14, 2010 4:23:46 PM
Subject: [Vantage] Re: EDI 856 Auto-Print

Â
Another thought -- you should be able to have an AND clause in the BAM looking for ShipHead.Invoiced = true before it will fire. I would think that would work. If you can't get that to work, I can play with it on my system to see if I can make it work.

-Adam

--- In vantage@yahoogroups .com, "Steven" <sgotschall@ ...> wrote:
>
>
>
>
>

You're right...I can't get the BAM to fire on "Invoiced" either. That seems like it should work. Anyways, I looked up the logic for the counter to determine a resend. On the EDIPckSl report data definition, under the ShipHead table, there is a calculated field called "CounterASN". So basically I believe Vantage keeps track of the number of times an ASN has been sent. Our logic in spEDImap is basically "If CounterASN <= 1, then flag as original, otherwise flag as a resend". Let me know if you need more info on that.

-Adam

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, Steven Gotschall <sgotschall@...> wrote:
>
> The problem with this idea is that when the BAM is fired on the "Ready to Invoice" flag, nothing will happen because it hasn't been invoiced yet. When the Invoice is generated and the shipstatus is changed to Invoiced, the ShipHead BAM is not triggered, so again nothing happens. I think that if you select shipstatus as one of the fields in the ShipHead BAM then it should fire when invoicing changes it, but in my testing it didn't.
>
> We also use eVision, so I would be interested in how the map is set up to determine if its a duplicate/retrans of a previous shipment.
>
>
>
>
> ________________________________
> From: adam.whipp <adam.whipp@...>
> To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
> Sent: Thu, January 14, 2010 4:23:46 PM
> Subject: [Vantage] Re: EDI 856 Auto-Print
>
> ÂÂ
> Another thought -- you should be able to have an AND clause in the BAM looking for ShipHead.Invoiced = true before it will fire. I would think that would work. If you can't get that to work, I can play with it on my system to see if I can make it work.
>
> -Adam
>
> --- In vantage@yahoogroups .com, "Steven" <sgotschall@ ...> wrote:
> >
> > Vantage 8.03.408A Progress
> >
> > I am trying to figure out the best way to trigger the 856 (ASN). The only way I know of to automatically trigger the ASN output is through a BAM auto-print. Only a BAM for the ShipHead can be used to generate the ASN, but shipping sometimes has to unship/unfreight because of changes or mistakes. So I am afraid to trigger it from the shiphead because I would either get multiple ASNs for the same shipment, or the wrong information.
> >
> > I am wondering how other Vantage EDI users are auto generating their ASNs?
> >
> > I have a system in place now that sends out ASN emails (not EDI 856) when the invoice is created for the shipment. This works well, but won't work for the EDI ASN because it is 4GL code based off the invoice creation and nothing I do in 4GL will trigger the BAM Auto-Print. I thought I could trigger the BAM when the ShipStatus on the ShipHead changes to Invoiced, but that doesn't trigger the BAM either.
> >
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
I found that field in my ASN output file, but when I manually generate the ASN it always stays at zero no matter how many times I "print" the same ASN. I wonder if it is how you are tiggering the BAM. What field or fields are you using and what version of Vantager are you on?

Sent: Thu, January 14, 2010 5:19:38 PM

Â
You're right...I can't get the BAM to fire on "Invoiced" either. That seems like it should work. Anyways, I looked up the logic for the counter to determine a resend. On the EDIPckSl report data definition, under the ShipHead table, there is a calculated field called "CounterASN" . So basically I believe Vantage keeps track of the number of times an ASN has been sent. Our logic in spEDImap is basically "If CounterASN <= 1, then flag as original, otherwise flag as a resend". Let me know if you need more info on that.

-Adam

--- In vantage@yahoogroups .com, Steven Gotschall <sgotschall@ ...> wrote:
>
> The problem with this idea is that when the BAM is fired on the "Ready to Invoice" flag, nothing will happen because it hasn't been invoiced yet. When the Invoice is generated and the shipstatus is changed to Invoiced, the ShipHead BAM is not triggered, so again nothing happens. I think that if you select shipstatus as one of the fields in the ShipHead BAM then it should fire when invoicing changes it, but in my testing it didn't.
>
> We also use eVision, so I would be interested in how the map is set up to determine if its a duplicate/retrans of a previous shipment.
>
>
>
>
> ____________ _________ _________ __
> From: adam.whipp <adam.whipp@ ...>
> To: vantage@yahoogroups .com
>
> ÂÂ
> Another thought -- you should be able to have an AND clause in the BAM looking for ShipHead.Invoiced = true before it will fire. I would think that would work. If you can't get that to work, I can play with it on my system to see if I can make it work.
>
> -Adam
>
> >
> >
> > I am trying to figure out the best way to trigger the 856 (ASN). The only way I know of to automatically trigger the ASN output is through a BAM auto-print. Only a BAM for the ShipHead can be used to generate the ASN, but shipping sometimes has to unship/unfreight because of changes or mistakes. So I am afraid to trigger it from the shiphead because I would either get multiple ASNs for the same shipment, or the wrong information.
> >
> >
> > I have a system in place now that sends out ASN emails (not EDI 856) when the invoice is created for the shipment. This works well, but won't work for the EDI ASN because it is 4GL code based off the invoice creation and nothing I do in 4GL will trigger the BAM Auto-Print. I thought I could trigger the BAM when the ShipStatus on the ShipHead changes to Invoiced, but that doesn't trigger the BAM either.
> >
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

I found that field in my ASN output file, but when I manually generate the ASN it always stays at zero no matter how many times I "print" the same ASN. I wonder if it is how you are tiggering the BAM. What field or fields are you using and what version of Vantager are you on?

Sent: Thu, January 14, 2010 5:19:38 PM

Â
You're right...I can't get the BAM to fire on "Invoiced" either. That seems like it should work. Anyways, I looked up the logic for the counter to determine a resend. On the EDIPckSl report data definition, under the ShipHead table, there is a calculated field called "CounterASN" . So basically I believe Vantage keeps track of the number of times an ASN has been sent. Our logic in spEDImap is basically "If CounterASN <= 1, then flag as original, otherwise flag as a resend". Let me know if you need more info on that.

-Adam

I've got my BAM set up for the ShipHead on "Ready to Invoice" with the rule condition ReadyToInvoice = true and (CustNum = my list of customers). It seems to be working just fine. Did you get it to fire with any other fields? If not, do you have your auto-print functionality set up correctly in the Data Definition? I believe I have a document somewhere around here that walks you through it all if you haven't seen it already.

Drew

>
>
>
>
>
>
> From: adam.whipp <adam.whipp@...>
>
> ÂÂ
>
> -Adam
>
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
I think I figured it out. The CounterASN calculated field is incremented each time the EDIready field is changed from False to True. So All I need to do is link the EDIready to the Ready to Invoice field so that if the shippment is unshipped to make corrections and then reshipped, I can send a "updated" 856 instead of an "original".

Sent: Fri, January 15, 2010 10:07:30 AM

Â
I've got my BAM set up for the ShipHead on "Ready to Invoice" with the rule condition ReadyToInvoice = true and (CustNum = my list of customers). It seems to be working just fine. Did you get it to fire with any other fields? If not, do you have your auto-print functionality set up correctly in the Data Definition? I believe I have a document somewhere around here that walks you through it all if you haven't seen it already.

Drew

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> ÂÂ
>
> -Adam
>
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

I found out something else that this group may be interested in.

I was trying to trigger the ShipHead BAM autoprint when the shipment was pulled in for invoiceing. What I found out was that in the ARInvoice.GetShipments BPM Pre-Processing method, the code has to come before the {&CALL_DESIGNED_ACTIONS} statement if you want to fire the BAM. When I had my code after this statement, it never fired, but onced I move it before it, everything worked great. Here is the code I used to trigger the ShipHead BAM from the ARInvoice.GetShipments BPM:

For Each ShipHead Where (LOOKUP(STRING(ShipHead.PackNum) , PackSlips , "~~") > 0) NO-LOCK:
   Run lib\UpdateTableBuffer.p(input BUFFER ShipHead:HANDLE, 'EDIready', TRUE).
End.
{&CALL_DESIGNED_ACTIONS}

Sent: Fri, January 15, 2010 11:07:06 AM
Subject: Re: [Vantage] Re: EDI 856 Auto-Print

Â
I think I figured it out. The CounterASN calculated field is incremented each time the EDIready field is changed from False to True. So All I need to do is link the EDIready to the Ready to Invoice field so that if the shippment is unshipped to make corrections and then reshipped, I can send a "updated" 856 instead of an "original".

____________ _________ _________ __
To: vantage@yahoogroups .com
Sent: Fri, January 15, 2010 10:07:30 AM

Â

Drew

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> ÂÂ
>
> -Adam
>
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Steve -- Yes, you are correct about the EDIReady needing to be changed. We are on 408b. On this version, as long a you have an outbound document set up under the customer, whenever you ship/unship a packing slip for that customer, EDIReady automatically flips from true to false as well. Basically it is automatically linked to the ReadyToInvoice field.

Adam

>
> I think I figured it out. The CounterASN calculated field is incremented each time the EDIready field is changed from False to True. So All I need to do is link the EDIready to the Ready to Invoice field so that if the shippment is unshipped to make corrections and then reshipped, I can send a "updated" 856 instead of an "original".
>
>
>
>
> From: drew.pete <drew.pete@...>
> Sent: Fri, January 15, 2010 10:07:30 AM
>
> ÂÂ
> I've got my BAM set up for the ShipHead on "Ready to Invoice" with the rule condition ReadyToInvoice = true and (CustNum = my list of customers). It seems to be working just fine. Did you get it to fire with any other fields? If not, do you have your auto-print functionality set up correctly in the Data Definition? I believe I have a document somewhere around here that walks you through it all if you haven't seen it already.
>
> Drew
>
> --- In vantage@yahoogroups .com, Steven Gotschall <sgotschall@ ...> wrote:
> >
> > The problem with this idea is that when the BAM is fired on the "Ready to Invoice" flag, nothing will happen because it hasn't been invoiced yet. When the Invoice is generated and the shipstatus is changed to Invoiced, the ShipHead BAM is not triggered, so again nothing happens. I think that if you select shipstatus as one of the fields in the ShipHead BAM then it should fire when invoicing changes it, but in my testing it didn't.
> >
> > We also use eVision, so I would be interested in how the map is set up to determine if its a duplicate/retrans of a previous shipment.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > ____________ _________ _________ __
> > From: adam.whipp <adam.whipp@ ...>
> > To: vantage@yahoogroups .com
> > Sent: Thu, January 14, 2010 4:23:46 PM
> > Subject: [Vantage] Re: EDI 856 Auto-Print
> >
> > ÂÂÂ
> > Another thought -- you should be able to have an AND clause in the BAM looking for ShipHead.Invoiced = true before it will fire. I would think that would work. If you can't get that to work, I can play with it on my system to see if I can make it work.
> >
> > -Adam
> >
> > --- In vantage@yahoogroups .com, "Steven" <sgotschall@ ...> wrote:
> > >
> > > Vantage 8.03.408A Progress
> > >
> > > I am trying to figure out the best way to trigger the 856 (ASN). The only way I know of to automatically trigger the ASN output is through a BAM auto-print. Only a BAM for the ShipHead can be used to generate the ASN, but shipping sometimes has to unship/unfreight because of changes or mistakes. So I am afraid to trigger it from the shiphead because I would either get multiple ASNs for the same shipment, or the wrong information.
> > >
> > > I am wondering how other Vantage EDI users are auto generating their ASNs?
> > >
> > > I have a system in place now that sends out ASN emails (not EDI 856) when the invoice is created for the shipment. This works well, but won't work for the EDI ASN because it is 4GL code based off the invoice creation and nothing I do in 4GL will trigger the BAM Auto-Print. I thought I could trigger the BAM when the ShipStatus on the ShipHead changes to Invoiced, but that doesn't trigger the BAM either.
> > >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
>
>