Employees can't end production activity

Our employees are able to Start Production Activity in the MES screen, but are suddenly unable to end any of those same activities.

First, they get the following error when clicking on the ‘End Activity’ button:

Application Error

Exception caught in: Epicor.ServiceModel

Error Detail 
============
Correlation ID: 1792c1e6-6acc-4d5a-abd6-71e224cb0e97
Message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Program: Epicor.ServiceModel.dll
Method: ShouldRethrowNonRetryableException

Client Stack Trace 
==================
   at Epicor.ServiceModel.Channels.ImplBase`1.ShouldRethrowNonRetryableException(Exception ex, DataSet[] dataSets)
   at Erp.Proxy.BO.LaborImpl.EndActivity(LaborDataSet ds)
   at Erp.Adapters.LaborAdapter.EndActivity()

After closing that error box, the ‘End Activity’ screen opens up, but the Qty field is read-only and hitting the ‘OK’ button generates the following error:

Business Layer Exception

Invalid to modify an active transaction.

Exception caught in: Epicor.ServiceModel

Error Detail 
============
Correlation ID:  97684d7d-6dc6-46c2-8107-1ca1abff520e
Description:  Invalid to modify an active transaction.
Program:  Erp.Services.BO.Labor.dll
Method:  LaborDtlBeforeUpdate
Line Number:  9140
Column Number:  25
Table:  LaborDtl

Client Stack Trace 
==================
   at Epicor.ServiceModel.Channels.ImplBase`1.ShouldRethrowNonRetryableException(Exception ex, DataSet[] dataSets)
   at Erp.Proxy.BO.LaborImpl.Update(LaborDataSet ds)
   at Erp.Adapters.LaborAdapter.OnUpdate()
   at Ice.Lib.Framework.EpiBaseAdapter.Update()
   at Erp.UI.App.EndActivityEntry.EndActTransaction.Update()

A recent change was made to Employee setup, wherein each employee was linked to themselves as a ResourceID. The change was that every Employee is now linked to the same ResourceID (“Employee”). I’m not sure if the change is what cause the new issue, but the timing seems like they could be related.

Any ideas?

Two quick things I can think of. Check that the employees can report quantity and are allowed to book to jobs. Both are located on the employee maintenance screen under the Production Info tab.

Were the jobs you are trying to process written before you made that change, or after? If you run a job that was written after you made the employee/resource change do you still get the error?

Thank you for the suggestion! These are both already checked for our Employees.

Oh, I’d be willing to bet the jobs were all created before the change. I will test later today on a job that was created since then and update back.

Would there be a way to mass inform the pre-existing jobs of the change so they will work as well?

You should be able to update existing jobs VIA DMT. The tricky bit is figuring out exactly what to change. If this turns out to be the issue you could visually compare old vs new jobs and see if something jumps out at you.