Entering Mass range of Serial Numbers in Customer Shipment Entry

We are trying to create mass range Serial numbers to be entered on a Packing Slip. The option to select range of Serial numbers is greyed out and cannot be accessed. We have to manually add each serial number individually. It’s not a hard task if there is just a few items but I takes time when there is over 300 on a single shipment and each serial number has to be entered one by one!

How do you change the settings so the range entry of serial numbers can be selected,

If your serial numbers are setup to be numeric only then you can add a
range. If they are setup to use SN Masks or are alphanumeric then Epicor
cannot process them as a range

Mark Wagner
Sr. Partner

Capstone Alliance Partners 888.597.2227 Ext. 71
<888.597.2227%20Ext.%20714>2 | 904.412.6847 mwagner@capstoneap.com (cell)
| www.capstoneap.com

1 Like

If you mean to select a range of serial numbers and not add and they are already entered sorted correctly without selecting each one you can do the following:

1. Open Select Serial Numbers via the Serial Number button
  2. Click the ‘Retrieve Available’ button
  3. Select the first serial number you need in the list
  4. scroll down in the list to find the last serial number you need in the list.
  5. hold down the shift key and select the last serial number you need.
  6. Click on the ‘Add’ arrow button (Not the Add All button with two arrows!)
  7. All the highlighted serial numbers should be added
    This is called a contiguous selection, you can do the same type of thing as a discontiguous selection by using the CTL key instead of shift. This method can dramatically reduce the mouse clicks and time to select the correct serial numbers.
    For selecting 10 SN by highlighting each and clicking the add button takes 20 clicks
    This method takes 3 clicks and way less mouse movement,
    I have also selected a large batch like this and then individually highlighted the selected serial numbers unselected the few not needed.
    You cold also use the Start & End serial number selection options if the serial number is not too long and might be quicker for selecting.
    Would this work for you?

If you are truly trying to add new serial numbers and you need to do it quickly, one option maybe to get a Service Connect or DMT solution in place. That way you could then use Excel to quickly create your SN range save it to a location that Service Connect or DMT PowerShell script would monitor, when it sees a new file it could add the Serial Numbers to the SN table and then they would be available for selection.

Another option might be to create a customization on the Serial Number Selection screen that would follow different rules for creating a range.

If you are truly not creating SN until shipment then you might need to consider changing your Serial Number rules setup in Site Maintenance so it better fits your process.

Only other thought is that I thought that Masked Serial Numbers could be created in mass like this if the mask was defined as a Generation Type AND the Serial Number Tracking option in Site setup was Outbound only, it maybe that that Mask type you are using is set to Validation and not Generation.

1 Like

We have added a custom “Select SerialNumber Entry” screen. I borrowed it from another user. It allows us to update in mass by coping and pasting serialnumbers from Excel. Would you be interested in that? We also put that functionality on receipt. We deal with hundreds of serialized parts each day. The shipping and receiving folks love this added feature.

I would be interested as well

Scott Thompson
IT Manager/Webmaster

Advanced Wireless Communications

This sounds perfect for us, our shipping/ receiving team wants a solution like this as well. Could you please send me the details?

I am on PTO. I will post this on Monday when I get back.

Ken

Here is the SN Multi Import customization that we use. Another user gave this to me, though he has moved onto other things.

snexport.xml (71.9 KB)

3 Likes

Thanks a lot!