Epicor and barcode scanners 9.05.701

Are there any users out there that have the perfect barcode scanner that works wonderfully with Epicor software?
We are looking to just be able to scan the barcode for the part number; scan the job#, enter the quantity and have it issued to the job.
Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Carol

We are using the Motorola Symbol LS2208 and LS4278 models. The LS4278 model allows you to program ADF rules into the scanner and is wireless. They should work fine for what you are trying to do.

Hi,

We use Zebra DS3508 readers, they seem pretty good and sturdy for our environment and they are highly programmable, you can scan codes to program them or there is a program called 123Scan i think, although i havenā€™t tried that yet.

Cheers,

John

The symbol and motorola scanners seem to be very reliable. Be sure to
program a tab after the scan. It is very easy to do.

Also, for job traveler barcodes, I would suggest adding your own barcodes
to the job traveler so that you are not relying on the standard barcode
checkbox that spews barcodes all over.

Brad

Are you utilizing the handheld menu in Epicor?
I believe what our users want is to display the MES screen on the handheld > login to their account > click on the issue material button and issue material to the job they are logged in to.

Lol. I submitted a response yesterday then deleted it because I was certain you werenā€™t referring to handheld capability. The model scanners referenced in other posts are terrific for seated-in-front-of-a-computer operations.

However, it now seems you are looking at the HandHeld module, for which you will need a scanner that runs the RDP protocol. We use the Epicor recommended Intermec CK-71 which is actually a mobile computer with a grip. It does everything we need, using the MES menu in full screen, my users are able to interact with it - no problems. We ship, pack, and do some material receipt with these devices (we also issue material to jobs from a job pack list with barcodes). Youā€™ll need an RDS services Windows server.

Thanks Andrew,

Is there special programming that needs to be done to integrate it with Epicor? (9.05.701)
Any software customizationā€™s?

Thanks (We will certainly look into it)
Currently we have a motorola that is about 8+ years old (not sure of model number), but it is quite cumbersome and having difficulty logging in to it. The interface is not very user friendly and I donā€™t believe we can get the MES interface on it.

Crossing my fingers the Intermec will work for us.
Thanks again!

1 Like

We needed to load the older version of RDP for mobile computers onto our new CK-71s. The version that comes with newer scanners (newer versions of Windows Mobile OS) does not do ā€œfull screenā€.

Its a bit convoluted, but you need the Soti Pcoket controller software in order to remote into the CK-71, then transfer the RDP program to it. For the Soti software to work, you also need Windows Mobile Device Center software. Both programs are downloadable for free.

Once the correct RDP software is loaded on the CK-71, and the correct Wi-Fi settings are input to the device, it is fairly rock solid.

There are setup requirements on the server as well. User profile for each handheld which includes the automatic launch of Epicor MES once the connection is esablished. This way, all the user has to do is turn the device on, launch RDP and press connect. The session launches, RDP opens a full-screen MES session and theyā€™re off. Note that we were walked through this process with Epicor ā€˜on the lineā€™.

With the CK-71 scanners, weā€™ve mainly ran into wi-fi connectivity issues out on the warehouse plant floor. Weā€™ve had sporadic network drops when going from access point to access point.

The majority of our use will be in our ā€œTool Cribā€ area for issuing parts required for maintenance jobs, so I donā€™t believe connectivity would be an issue, but thanks for providing the input.

Carol

Chia, Your issue with dropped connections could be related to your WiFi setup. We make sure thereā€™s an appropriate amount of overlap between APs and that neighboring APs use different channels - which ensures seamless ā€œroamingā€. Our folks roam between a raw materials warehouse, through the production environment, then out to the finished goods warehouse traversing 5 to 10 APs with zero connectivity issues.

That was one suggestion to add more APs and I havenā€™t heard if that was the route taken. Even when we stood in one APs location, we were getting dropped connectivity. Iā€™m not sure if the shop floor environment such as cantilevers, metal materials, walls or ā€œnoiseā€ impacted connectivity.

We have APs from Aruba networks that operate on both 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz frequencies. Iā€™ve long heard that the 5Ghz frequency is notorious for drops in ā€˜problematicā€™ environments. Use 2.4 and you should notice an improvement - assuming you arenā€™t already on 2.4.

1 Like

Weā€™ve been able to deploy the Zebra TC-55 handheld device successfull. it runs an android OS and works well with the latest RDP Apps that support custom screen resolution. You can also then utilize any other productivity apps available for Android that might be beneficial to your operations. This device is about half the cost of the Intermec in my experience.

We donā€™t use traditional handhelds, we use a Galaxy tablet with an RDP connection via an app to login to MES and it works out great. Weā€™ve also connected a Bluetooth scanner to it. No need for extra modulesā€¦

Fwiw, Iā€™m with Krista, cheap Android tablets, rdp to MES. Itā€™s a much
better solution than those scanner PCā€™sā€¦ We didnā€™t like a thing about
that solution

1 Like

I want to thank everyone for their advice & suggestions. Your feedback has been most helpful and I appreciate all of the input.
We are checking into a couple of the suggestions provided and hopefully will have something in place within the next couple of weeks.
Thanks again!!
Have a great week all!!

Carol

Chris,
Are you using bluetooth scanners with your tablets, any info you can provide on your hardware would be great. Casesā€¦etc.

Thanks in advance

Hey Simon,

We used Microsoft surface tablets,
locking proclip holders (Microsoft Surface Tablet Holders | ProClip USA)
ram mount mounting hardware (https://www.rammount.com/)

For scanners, we got the cheapest BT scanners we could get from Amazon but any can be used. Honestly, sometimes, you get what you pay for.

Thanks Chris