Epicor E10 and Dynamics CRM 4.0

Hello,
Looking for some advice on options for our company. We have been running with Dynamics CRM 4.0 together with our Epicor system (currently 10.2.300) for nearly 10 years. I have written a 2 way sync between the two systems to synchronize Customers/Cust Contacts with Accounts/Contacts which works really well. We rely on Dynamics CRM for quoting, leads and off site sales access to customers and contacts integrated in outlook. We have several other custom entities in Dynamics CRM that are unique, but I think those could be implemented in Epicor without too much effort. We have come to the critical juncture where the infrastructure limitations to run Dynamics CRM version 4.0 is impacting our ability to keep current with other systems. As an example SQL 1012 is the limit for CRM 4.0.

We have considered going to the latest version of Dynamics CRM, but that would require a complete re-write for the currently implemented entities in CRM version 4.0 and then would required a subscription for Dynamics. That seems like a lot of work and expense while keeping the systems apart.

Another option is to find a 3rd party package to connect Epicor to the outside world for our outside folks. This sounds like the easiest way, but we would be limited to the lead and quoting within Epicor which doesn’t serve our needs like Dynamics CRM does.

Another option is to customize everything in Epicor. The plus there is we are now in one system. Negative is the time to implement.

Given I am a department of one, looking for some input to help steer our direction.

Tim

There are existing CRM integrations that have already been made (like SalesForce), but it would depend on what you actually need. Your Epicor CAM would be happy to give a sales presentation on options :wink:
You can also look at the Options that are already built like the Epicor CRM App:

1 Like

First steps are to understand the CRM capabilities in E10 the do a simple list of the gaps, and considering your company has been using Dynamics for so long, identify what is actually being used and compare that with the out of the box Epicor functionality. Finally look at the cost/benefits of the ideas you already have listed, it may be that the savings you make will help employ some external resources to get you through the project.

Finally make sure that everyone is plainly aware that responsibility of such an endeavour cannot rest on one person’s shoulders, ask for help and ask early.

There are no shortcuts for this sort of change, that’s if you want to make it a success.

1 Like

Simon is spot on here. I think people let the tail wag the dog. What are your companies pain points? For some companies, it’s email. It goes to one person and no others see that customer communication leading to a poor understanding of the customer’s needs and concerns. What email should be visible within ERP? Maybe not quotes but certainly delivery instructions, quality issues, etc. Is synchronization required or can a loosely-coupled approach providing “views” into the ERP or CRM system? How do you minimize the upgrade path for each? (You’re feeling that pain now!)

IMHO, CRM is as much as a sales only system as ERP is just for production. Both are enterprises-wide endeavors and require the same type of implementation details.

1 Like

1 Like

Or

and that’s the ERP Person on their knees!

For me it was a 9" angle grinder and it ended up around my my shoulder blades! Still smarting.

Thanks for the input everyone.

The obvious reason we are in this spot is because of the difficulty in finding an easy integrated solution. Back in 2000 when we reviewed E9, the integrated CRM was no where as good as Dynamics so we made the decision to run both.

Now, the key for me is to be able to find/understand as many options as possible, document the pros and cons, then engage the company to make the final decision. I have learned, when I reach out to a 3rd party consultant, they will suggest what they know which isn’t always the best solution. Asking here, I felt I would get a broader perspective. I also know that people don’t like change. I also try to understand industry best practice since it may differ from what we are currently doing. As an example, Dynamics CRM provides offline contact/account information for field peeps. Instead of focusing on a solution that would satisfy that, it probably makes sense to just have devices capable of being online anywhere. Simple solution, but that then adds an additional monthly expense to each user.

On the money there about third party consultants. I had one telling me that Service Connect Runtime was the only way to go once. (I wonder why that was)…

Field Service Reps?
I thought there was an Epicor Mobile Field Service App, but looking at the playstore I can’t see it.?

The alternative is look at using the Epicor CRM functionality, but filling the mobile gaps with either a custom rolled responsive app using the REST APIs or even use MS Power Apps or some other low code solution. You can guarantee once the users understand the flexibility and the ability to create change you will be inundated with requests, which can also be bad.

By the sounds of things you have your hands full.

Don’t forget you also have EVA, which might help for that. (hmmm or do you with 10.2.300).

I have to say that for field service, I saw a webinar on Dynamics using HoloLens Remote Assist field service at BHP. Blew my socks off!

Microsoft Customer Stories.

1 Like