Epicor Learning Center - Do you need an additional license to view the "Hand's On" Courses?

I’ve had several support cases where I’ve complained that x course is missing and they’ve fixed it in the learning center. The learning center is on a terrible platform and I don’t think they’ve done a thorough job of migrating content or whatever it is they are trying to do. Just saying don’t assume they’ve pulled it, assume they’ve missed it and complain (it will benefit all of us).

I have not had embedded education since 2010 and had up until recently a full list of videos that are now gone. I assume it is a move to the new interface, but we will have a lot of new users to teach the classic interface before 2024 comes.

We just spun up a 2022.1 test environment, and the same structure is there, along with the PDF in the supporting folder you show above. There’s also the tocnav.html and all the rest of the html files there too, if users like it that way… When I open the PDF, it shows as 11.1, though! Another datapoint…

1 Like

That’s cool Andris! Thank you for sharing!

You’re right @aosemwengie1! I have an on-prem customer that just installed Kinetic 2022, but the “Classic Education” had not been installed in the Admin Console. I installed it, and the “Training-EE” folder got created with all the PDFs for the Classic environment.

HOWEVER, as you say, they show “11.1” for the version number, and when I compared the Revision Dates on the copyright pages, they are identical to what was installed under Kinetic 2021… AND I am not able to access them from within the application, even from the Modern Shell interface.

1 Like

Well at least they aren’t getting wiped out . . . yet. Its frustrating that they are taking the “embedded” out of the education.

1 Like

The Smart Client is going away as of Kinetic 2024. All the Embedded Education documents are based on those screens. Epicor is really pushing to get their user base onto the Kinetic environment, and this is one more push. I’m not really a fan either, but this web thing seems to have legs…

1 Like

Oh it has legs, just not tasting so nice right now.

:unicorn:

1 Like

Yeah I get that - and I accept the growing pains. But there is absolutely nothing preventing them from having embedded education in a browser either. They just don’t want to do it - they want to force everyone to log into the learning center to access the courses. I truly hate it with the heat of a thousand suns because not only do I now have to create every user TWICE (once in Epicor, once in the learning center), I also have to help them every freaking time they want to log into the learning center because nobody can remember (or find) their Epicweb password, or remember to use WEB\xxx to sign in. Its the kind of frustration that’s unnecessary but because Epicor feels its a benefit to them to do it this way, they do not care about the pain it inflicts on their customers.

3 Likes

I coulda swore they showed a way to get into the ELC using a link within the browser so that it would log them in automatically, but that could be because they were hosted.

I’d love to know more about that. My guess is it was a cloud customer using Epicor IDP. (we’re on prem)

1 Like

From the Kinetic Home page, click the Help link (lower left), then click the Help and support center button, and finally click the Access Epicor Learning Center link.

If their browser is set to remember their passwords, it will do so here and they can log in.

1 Like

This is what I was looking for. I don’t like the remember password thing. I’m with @aosemwengie1 … just one more password they need to remember.

This. Every. Single. Time.
I feel you, @aosemwengie1 - and let’s not forget the Education environment (they all get the same username/pw here but it’s one more place to confuse them all) and/or your Pilot environment. I get to create everyone three times, and even though I send out an email with links and instructions and pictures (haha), nobody ever remembers any of it.

2 Likes

The classic courses seem to have mostly taken down.

I am glad I downloaded the courses to PDF before that happened.

There isn’t a Buyer workbench course now? Geeze.

I have to create everyone 3 times and better yet when Epicor sends the password email it doesn’t identify which environment the password is for.

1 Like

That’s been the hardest part about not updating is Epicor pulls all that classic content from ELC when they know full well that there are many people still not on the latest and greatest. Incredibly difficult to onboard people when there’s no content for our version anymore. It’s not like keeping the content on there takes any more effort either. It’s the same as keeping the tech ref guides and other literature for each release in the documentation section of Epic web. huge loss for us.