Epicor Licensing Model

How does the Epicor licensing work? Specifically when it related to multi-company? We have been informed by our vendor that we can create a 2nd company in Epicor and not have any licensing issues. So I guess my question is: What exactly are the restrictions with additional companies?

If we were to open up another company elsewhere in the country, are we able to just add the new company to the EAC and give the users of the new company access? (user licensing would be adjusted to match the new userbase, obviously).

Anything technical is a non-issue. We are on-prem and in this hypothetical situation, the new facility would have a direct connection to our network.

Thoughts? Issues?

We’ve got 28 companies, no special licensing other than the Multi-Company module for intercompany processing. Our users access multiple companies as well.

As I understand, the stipulation is ‘database’. You can have as many companies as you want inside a database, but when you want to put a database in California as well as New York, then that because an Epicor SITE. (not inside Epicor where a site is a location within a company, but a licensed SITE). We only have one site, so I might be slightly off on that explanation.

1 Like

We for example seperate our China Company database which requires us to get a license for that standalone seperated company for x users.

You can apply the same license you have, but it would be a violation during an audit, nothing will stop you, yet.

But if you just want to add a Company to your current Epicor. Just make sure you have the Multi-Company Module and Multi-Site Module perhaps, check your license, if you do, you simply just add a company via Admin Console.

@MikeGross - So going from your experience, since we are licensed for “Unlimited Number of companies” in the Licensed Modules, we should not be in breach of any licenses/contracts; assuming we use the same database for all 3 of them. Which again, wouldn’t be an issue as the new company would be directly connected to our servers via a Site-to-Site VPN. Same Database, Same EAC, etc.
This sounds like it would be a viable option then.
And 28 companies? Holy crap dude, that is a lot to maintain!

1 Like

If you are still on 10.1.600 you might need to get an updated DMT Licenses by providing Epicor the Company IDs. I think in 10.2.x you no longer need to do that.

@hkeric.wci - good looking out there, but in this situation we wouldn’t need DMT. The workload at this other facility would be extremely minimal. Fully staffed would be a total of 3 people for the foreseeable future, with a few dozen jobs a week. It would be starting from scratch, so there is no existing data that we need to import either.

@jhecker - yep, unlimited companies regardless of connectivity. We have two companies in the EU which have office-to-office VPNs over the internet and are inside our single database.

@hkeric.wci is correct that you might need multi-site as well, if a single company is to have multiple sites - think warehouses or manufacturing facilities that have to be separate for accounting reasons, but are still the same company.

And 28 is small potatoes for some of the guys here… some of the consultants have 100+ clients they support and have copies of data for support purposes…

@MikeGross - it is my understanding (from the little knowledge that I have of our situation) that the additional company will be its own ‘thing’. Nothing would be shared between the companies: no inventory, no warehouses, no accounting, no nothing.
Since the 2nd company is its own company and not an extension of the existing, we shouldn’t need the multi-site module.
Epicor actually makes this fairly easy, don’t they?

@jhecker Epicor does make this part of the whole process pretty easy to understand.

One question to settle this - does that new ‘company’ have it’s own Tax ID/FEIN #? If so, then it’s a legit separate company.

If it doesn’t, then it could be a site, or still set up as another company for keeping things separate for any number of reasons your accounting team may have. There are also ‘virtual’ companies (my word, as it’s still a ‘company’ inside Epicor) that you could set up - possibly for financial consolidations where you need to do your elimination entries…

@MikeGross - Yes, it has its own Tax ID. It is 100% its own entity. That is actually what made me concerned…for most software a separate company requires a whole new license agreement…that made me cautious when I was researching this new company and adding it to Epicor.

@jhecker You’re all good then. :slight_smile: