ERP 10 on Epicor SaaS Public Cloud. Private Cloud and On Premise

Hi All,
We are getting into the Epicor experience bit by bit and both enjoying it as well as being frustrated by the number of things that we don’t seem to be able to accomplish as easily as we originally thought despite having lots of C# Visual Studio experience in developing a legacy bespoke MRP system that is now some 20+ years old.

Has anyone any real life experiences between the On Prem and SaaS versions of E10 so we can properly evaluate the merits and downsides of each version before we fully commit. I realise that cloud is the way forward but would love to get some real time feedback from fellow developers with respect to the virtues of each type of installation as opposed to the views of sales people.

Thanks in anticipation.

To me, the question is if your team/company is able to leverage having your own install in house. If this benefit of managing it yourself is greater than the cost/risk then I would definitely keep it in house

Also, this is not a cloud system at all. Cloud computing relies on the idea of scaling a system out with many nodes as opposed to scaling the server up with more resources. This is just Epicor managing the VM in Azure for you. Which is great, if IT is not a core competency, but a major weakness if you have the team and resources to leverage this capability.

Kind of surprised there wasn’t more action on this post. I’ve been On Prem, Single Tenant Cloud, SaaS, and now moving from a local data center, IaaS, to Azure on our own - which is still IaaS.

I think you hit the nail on the head when you say, “fully commit.” To gain the real benefits of using the cloud, it means doing things differently than we always have. Just putting Epicor in the cloud for the sake of doing cloud doesn’t really reap much benefits. Depending how you set it up, the cost is similar but you may experience poorer performance. There’s a balance between control and cost - the more control you want to keep doing things the same way the more it will cost. But the culture change is very, very hard.

In “The Unicorn Project”, the hero of the story was the developer behind the customized ERP system. Everybody loved the system because it was made just to the company’s specification. But she realized, it was slow to adapt to the new online world and changes in general. It didn’t lend itself to a DevOps culture and by the end of the book, she came to believe that they would be better off using a more standardized system with light modifications in order to keep expenses down and to be able to roll with changes easier.

So the question for you (and all companies) is are you adding value to the company while maintaining servers, operating system upgrades, patches, and physical and environmental conditions of the datacenter? Or do you add more value by moving the users and the ERP system together through training and customizations?

There’s no doubt that the loss of control with SaaS is challenging. And yet it is freeing too. It’s like Functional programming languages. Not being able to change the value of a variable is extremely limiting but it makes coding for multiple threads way easier. And so it is with the Cloud, there are so many more possibilities with linking cloud services together with On Prem resources (hybrid): source control, Actions, email, document management, system management, security, logging, data analysis, workflow, serverless, compliance, etc.

So if you think the IT staff can make the mindset change, I think it will pay off. If not, I think the next generation will end up doing it since the costs of staying On Prem will become a competitive disadvantage at some point and suffer from being severely underfunded.

2 Likes

As someone who has found MT SaaS very restrictive, I have to say I can’t think of any business need it has truly prevented. Some things are certainly harder and require creative solutions. I think the largest unsolved problem is all our automatic emails sent from Epicor are flagged with a giant warning banner (at least in gmail) since the email service is shared with other MT customers. I bet we could solve this by using another email service and not Epicors.

Performance isn’t great but I haven’t had the opportunity to compare to on premise. Honestly I think its mostly a problem of investment, Google, Amazon, and Microsoft have managed to make snappy cloud based apps.

If the company already has significant IT resources and experiences I think on prem can make sense, but for a tiny company like ours (~40 workers, about ~20 Epicor users) and no real IT resources I think cloud is a no brainier. But this is kinda speculation on my part since I haven’t experienced on premise.

2 Likes