Experimenting with SalesOrder UpdateExt

I’ve been meaning to play around with UpdateExt ever since reading Tim Shoemaker’s comment about it, and I finally found the time. I’ve almost got it working, but I have a couple questions.

1. Is there a way to create an order head and its lines in one call? It doesn’t accept the lines unless I specify the order number, which I don’t have until I’ve created the head. I’m hoping there’s another field that can be used to associate lines with orders before they have an order number.

2. It seems that UpdateExt does not call ChangePartNum, so nothing gets copied from Part to OrderDtl. It also doesn’t seem to call ChangeSellingQuantity. Is there some magical combination of RowMods or something that can make it do this? Looking up parts and calling these methods for every line negates the hoped-for performance gain of UpdateExt.

We use SalesOrder.UpdateExt in a Service Connect workflow as an all-in-one operation, and while it has been a bit finicky getting everything behaving correctly it does work for us very reliably.

We only load a single order at a time in a call, which means we can put header and lines in all at once with OrderNum zero and UpdateExt will replace that with the next number during processing.

It certainly does seem like some check methods don’t get called by UpdateExt. For us, it was enough to work through an elimination process to find which fields and values mattered, then sort out those values by means of a database call (essentially a BAQ), which is about as efficient as we can hope for.

@dhewi,
Did you ever have a need to change the plant on the order? Thought I had my workflow working really nicely then I realized that order releases had the wrong site. I’ve been blundering through all different types of scenarios to resolve it, no luck yet.

If you have any tips it would be appreciated.

Sorry for the slow reply - no, we were single site and didn’t need to change plants. I’m a bit short of tips at the moment.

All sorted now…Passed in Company = xx;Plant=xx to the CompanyID parameter of the workflow and it worked.

Also for the record UpdateExt in SC depending on the BO can be a pain in the butt!!! I use Update as much as I can and dont even touch UpdateExt anymore – didnt have a SC Error in 2yrs! and before that, there was always some magical error creeping up :slight_smile: Use it strategically. Right @josecgomez

1 Like