I am working with the scheduling module a lot more closely than I ever have. I have been running calculate global scheduling order and Global scheduling a few times trying to get an output that the production team and Management are satisfied with. I am noticing that even with all jobs unlocked and ignore locks checked that when calculating global scheduling order there are some jobs that won’t get put in the list. I noticed this in the past but chalked it up to not needing to schedule that job. This time however it seems to only get line 1 of a 7 line sales order and no work has been started. Then I check the change log for one of the jobs and see this.
SchedSeq: 0 → 2
SchedSeq: 2 → 0
So the calculation sees it sets it and then zeros it out. Has anyone else seen behavior like this? can anyone give me any insight?
I believe there are some company config and site settings that impacts global scheduling. It is at least a spot to investigate…
I have looked at most of them. The one thing that Epicor is not clear on in the help is
This process will use scheduling on all jobs that are eligible for Global Scheduling to determine the date from the global schedule start date to get days late.
I assume there is something that is making these jobs ineligible but I am not sure what that is. I am poking around the data but see no differences that stand out. my next step is to look at the operations and resources for each may there is on that is deactivated or an issue with the job itself that it’s not allowing it to be scheduled
I am also working closely with the Scheduling module, I am trying to do a better planning of the production to show it to the management, did you manually set SchedSeq and then run the Global Scheduling process?
Are the Days Late giving them to you correct? I have seen that EPICOR is failing in this.
I have not adjusted the global scheduling order these past few rounds of testing. I looking to understand what jobs pull in and what ones don’t so I under stand it’s logic.
I am working on a customizations external to Epicor to manually calculate global scheduling order. More in line with our process but I need to understand Epicor’s logic first then possibly use that as a jumping off point to change order rather than completely reorganize it.
The days late calculation appears to be correct but I haven’t vetted it as well as I should.
The best suggestion I can offer, especially on the order where only the part for line 1 was picked up and scheduled, is compare the jobs for each of the parts to see if anything differs between them (i.e. jobs for lines 2-7 are “released” and the job for Line 1 isn’t; or any differences between the job status’s).
If nothing there, review the Part\Site & Planning tabs in Part Maintenance. Review whether there’s a difference between requiring Multiple jobs or a single job to produce the parts.
Are there difference with the Planning Time Fence and/or Reschedule In/Out Deltas for the Part or Part Classes?
Those are just a few things I can think of, off the top of my head. If it’s working some of the time, and not others… it would seem to be rather part specific. If it’s different outcomes are occurring for the same part but different jobs, then there’s something different between the job or demand records. Try to narrow down what’s different; and then it becomes easier to try and determine the setting that’s impacting it.
Troubleshooting MRP and/or Scheduling issues can be very nuanced and time-consuming because of all the different factors that feed into the 100’s of algorithms that drive the processes.
I would also look at the job scheduling priority. That can sometimes catch you - especially with minimizing WIP. If you have AMM and/or Demand Mgt running then the customer’s reservation priority might come into play. Definitely a science!