Grammar Police

No apostrophe needed in the year here.

For a 2-digit year, sure. But not in a 4-digit year.

I feel like I would have seen this before. Maybe it’s new?

It also deleted a quote automatically if there are no other replies in between. I hadn’t noticed it before. I don’t mind it

Not sure how it’s related to @JasonMcD post but ok, i’ll bite lol. It will always remove a quote if you quote an entire post. The idea being you should either Quote a section or reply directly to a topics post. Such as how I did here. Replied TO YOU not the topic.

Agree we’ll wait for discourse to fix it I guess?

1 Like

Tangentially, via noticing things about the website we hadn’t before

You can cheat, when a whole post is relevant, by editing the quote header tag, but even then, 20-30% of the time, the damn thing will get smart and still catch you! :rofl:

Btw, I read this post in Thom Yorke’s voice. (Radiohead)

1 Like

Alright, well since you all are hijacking the thread, you do raise the point that I have never understood - why is a full quote bad?

Yes, @jgiese.wci answered that, but what I am really asking is, what is the point of the button highlighted in my pic below, then?

Because it results in the same markdown code as just quoting it like normal.

1 Like

It’s wasteful and sometimes confusing. It encourages you to be more specific in your conversations.

It’s only annoying when a full quote is relevant.

Interesting.

1 Like

Does it work? (I quoted whole post.)

Well that’s neat, it does the same, but let it go through.

I see this:

Then I would guess the purpose of that button is for exactly those times when a whole post is relevant.

I assume the auto removal is a setting in discourse, and this is an override of sorts.

3 Likes

Yeah, I mean I just always worked around it. Sometimes “the whole post” is only a sentence, and was 37 replies ago, so save the poor sap who reads it some time and requote the thing.

But otherwise, I clearly did not care about this near as much as you all did. I just never saw the purpose of the little button in the tools menu.

Have you met me? :rofl:

At least I provided entertainment, and good music, not to mention the utterly stimulating conversation.

BTW, back on topic. Yep, no apostrophe needed. That’s a grammar catastrophe.

1 Like

I like the very awkward rhyme here.

1 Like

That feature would be cool if it gave you some indication of which post people were replying to, unless I’ve missed an indicator?

The blog said it was the immediately preceding post.

So it seems like a perfectly reasonable auto-edit.

As much as I generally hate computers outsmarting me.

There IS an indicator!

Click on the name of the person here:

Oh, yeah - where have you been?