Help Desk - Blank Title 127594

To add to the list of things that are unusual

In customer tracker, you can display cases.  If you do not complete the workflow and close the case the case will still show in the Open Cases tab.

It appears Epicor developers filter on the workflow complete flag instead and not the status. The Case status is ever only allowed to be Open or Closed so I don't see why they would use the workflow complete flag.  If they allowed other statuses then the filter for open would be "show where status <> closed" and equals for closed cases.

Case Status is in the patchfld table so I can only assume that there was a bit of a timing issue as to what data to filter with in the tracker.

Cheers
Simon Hall
My company is looking at other help desk software on the web.

The two that are competing with the one we have already have  is

Desk.com and Zendesk.

Anyone have experience any of the listed above?
I was looking at zendesk for our company when we were looking to implement a help desk but opted for spiceworks help desk. best of all its free. I suggest you look into it. 

Thank you,

Did you look at Case Management in Epicor?

If so, why did you opt for Spiceworks?

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of neverunmacron@...
Sent: Thursday, January 16, 2014 12:48 PM
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Vantage] RE: Help Desk -

I was looking at zendesk for our company when we were looking to implement a help desk but opted for spiceworks help desk. best of all its free. I suggest you look into it. 

We use Spiceworks as well.  Mostly because it does a pretty good job at monitoring systems around the building and the Helpdesk was just an extra nicety.  However we have added a few things to the help desk and it works very very well for us.  Plus it is very easy to use and our users have had no major issues acclimating. 

-Thomas

Wisconsin Converting

Our customer place a call into our Tech Support.

We were thinking of using Case Management in Epicor.

Is there is reason for using Spiceworks over Case Management?

I really appreciate your comments and I am now downloading Spiceworks to take a look see.

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Karen Schoenung
Sent: Friday, January 17, 2014 10:19 AM
Subject: RE: [Vantage] RE: Help Desk -

We use Spiceworks.  You can track time on helpdesk tickets, categorize, create reports, keep inventory of computer equipment, prioritize tickets, etc.

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of tcurtis@...
Sent: Friday, January 17, 2014 11:10 AM

We use Spiceworks as well.  Mostly because it does a pretty good job at monitoring systems around the building and the Helpdesk was just an extra nicety.  However we have added a few things to the help desk and it works very very well for us.  Plus it is very easy to use and our users have had no major issues acclimating. 

-Thomas

Wisconsin Converting

On the Topic of Spiceworks has anyone found the ability, plugin, or workaround to editing the time a ticket event has been posted. We like to backlog our tickets, but it would be nice to adjust the date and time to the actual date and time.

Joshua Giese

CIO

920.437.6400 Ext. 337

Site ID: 27450-E905700B2-SQL64

Wisconsin Converting, Inc.

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Cathy
Sent: Friday, January 17, 2014 11:58 AM

Our customer place a call into our Tech Support.

We were thinking of using Case Management in Epicor.

Is there is reason for using Spiceworks over Case Management?

I really appreciate your comments and I am now downloading Spiceworks to take a look see.

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Karen Schoenung
Sent: Friday, January 17, 2014 10:19 AM

We use Spiceworks.  You can track time on helpdesk tickets, categorize, create reports, keep inventory of computer equipment, prioritize tickets, etc.

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of tcurtis@...
Sent: Friday, January 17, 2014 11:10 AM

-Thomas

Wisconsin Converting

Cathy,

I agree with what Karen said. We do have the help desk ability in Vantage but i dont believe it has ever been used. What i like nest about spiceworks is that the end user submits the tickets through the portal or an email. This is less time spent on entering the tickets ourselves. Its really user friendly especially when synced with our AD.  

I cant speak on Vantage help desk but when i was looking at a solution i wanted something that was robust and user friendly.

Hope this helps! Let us know what you end up going with!

Jose

Joshua,

Possibly custom attribute?

Can you use those even on individual comments?

Sent from my Atari 600

-----Original Message-----

Received: Friday, 17 Jan 2014, 13:05

To: vantage@yahoogroups.com [vantage@yahoogroups.com]

Joshua,

Possibly custom attribute?

Hello,
We use  Cases and CRM Calls (Call Logs) in a support environment.  We went live with our support team at the beginning of December.  There a few things we still need to sort through, but essentially we use it in the following way.

We have a dashboard that is arranged by salesperson (case owner).  It is linked to the customisation version of the Case form which allows context menu access to this form so that after you have opened the case form from the dashboard for the first time you can then click on another case in the dashboard and the Case form will change to match.  Of course you can still open the menu item to access cases if you don’t want that. Call logs for each Case are used to maintain the progress of the Case.

We have a customised Case form which has a few extra fields of information and buttons including:
- A Case Closure button (clicking on the button closes the final task in the workflow, generates a call closure report attaches it to an email that is opened in outlook).
- Some additional tabs to store extra information, such as the Case Category, Change request number (parent case) Change request category. Module and version.
- A tab with a dashboard of the list of Calls associated with that case.
- The Task Update button generates an email to send to the client when you complete the Open Case Task.
- A Case Status field which contains a UDcodes list of all of the Case Status that we use.  When you change the status a Call log entry gets generated automatically.
- If you change the Case Owner a Call Log is generated also.
-We have various BPMs driving some of the functionality, including priority emails.

The Call log form has a few customisations primarily displaying the update date and time, category and who entered it. There is also a Send as email button, which takes the subject and the detail of the Case and generates and email for sending through outlook.

It has been a lot of work and probably there are other products on the market.  Whilst still it is early days our users are ok with it.  Still a lot of work to do for reporting, particularly KPI reports, but we are getting there.

One other part we have added is a monthly status report which is ultimately will be generated through Service Connect and sent to the APM printer for delivery.  Customer Contacts have a field added if they which to receive this report or not.  The report is a summary of Open Cases, Closed Cases and Cases that are waiting a response from them.

What have we struck as difficult parts:
- The Cases dashboard on refresh resets to the first open case from the BAQ instead of maintaining its current record position. This can lead to confusion if the Case form has been opened form the context menu as the Case changes to reflect the record position of the Dashboard.
- Users dashboard personalizations won’t save.
- if you click on the Case in the Tree view on the Case form you get a .Net error, which is you click on quit my mistake it closes the whole application. There is an SCR for this but no Hot fix for 9.05.701.
- Having Service Connect working correctly then making changes and breaking it the day before I went on Christmas leave!
- Performance.

I think there are a few others which I have struck, but I can’t remember them at the moment.

Certainly there is a lot of scope for Epicor to improve on this area. Prior to E9 we used eFrontoffice to support our customers and we had it in place for 10 years, as you can imagine it was difficult for some users to adopt the change.

Anyway I hope the information helps.

Any other questions I am happy to respond.

I have to give some credit to Jose here, because without his suggestions and example code for emailing and attaching reports I  would not have got half the things working.  I have learnt a great deal during the process.  Thanks.

Kind Regards
Simon Hall

This is very helpful!

Thank you

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Simon Hall
Sent: Saturday, January 18, 2014 4:06 AM
Subject: [Vantage] Re: Help Desk -

Hello,

We use  Cases and CRM Calls (Call Logs) in a support environment.  We went live with our support team at the beginning of December.  There a few things we still need to sort through, but essentially we use it in the following way.

We have a dashboard that is arranged by salesperson (case owner).  It is linked to the customisation version of the Case form which allows context menu access to this form so that after you have opened the case form from the dashboard for the first time you can then click on another case in the dashboard and the Case form will change to match.  Of course you can still open the menu item to access cases if you don’t want that. Call logs for each Case are used to maintain the progress of the Case.

We have a customised Case form which has a few extra fields of information and buttons including:

- A Case Closure button (clicking on the button closes the final task in the workflow, generates a call closure report attaches it to an email that is opened in outlook).

- Some additional tabs to store extra information, such as the Case Category, Change request number (parent case) Change request category. Module and version.

- A tab with a dashboard of the list of Calls associated with that case.

- The Task Update button generates an email to send to the client when you complete the Open Case Task.

- A Case Status field which contains a UDcodes list of all of the Case Status that we use.  When you change the status a Call log entry gets generated automatically.

- If you change the Case Owner a Call Log is generated also.

-We have various BPMs driving some of the functionality, including priority emails.

The Call log form has a few customisations primarily displaying the update date and time, category and who entered it. There is also a Send as email button, which takes the subject and the detail of the Case and generates and email for sending through outlook.

It has been a lot of work and probably there are other products on the market.  Whilst still it is early days our users are ok with it.  Still a lot of work to do for reporting, particularly KPI reports, but we are getting there.

One other part we have added is a monthly status report which is ultimately will be generated through Service Connect and sent to the APM printer for delivery.  Customer Contacts have a field added if they which to receive this report or not.  The report is a summary of Open Cases, Closed Cases and Cases that are waiting a response from them.

What have we struck as difficult parts:

- The Cases dashboard on refresh resets to the first open case from the BAQ instead of maintaining its current record position. This can lead to confusion if the Case form has been opened form the context menu as the Case changes to reflect the record position of the Dashboard.

- Users dashboard personalizations won’t save.

- if you click on the Case in the Tree view on the Case form you get a .Net error, which is you click on quit my mistake it closes the whole application. There is an SCR for this but no Hot fix for 9.05.701.

- Having Service Connect working correctly then making changes and breaking it the day before I went on Christmas leave!

- Performance.

I think there are a few others which I have struck, but I can’t remember them at the moment.

Certainly there is a lot of scope for Epicor to improve on this area. Prior to E9 we used eFrontoffice to support our customers and we had it in place for 10 years, as you can imagine it was difficult for some users to adopt the change.

Anyway I hope the information helps.

Any other questions I am happy to respond.

I have to give some credit to Jose here, because without his suggestions and example code for emailing and attaching reports I  would not have got half the things working.  I have learnt a great deal during the process.  Thanks.

Kind Regards

Simon Hall