Help me play detective

Someone before me had setup something that when an order ships and email is sent to our customer service person to let the customer know. We need to make changes to this as since it was set up a few years ago things have changed.

I can not find where or how this is being done. I have looked through the BPM’s and not found anything. I know its not linked to APR because none of that was set up.

What other places would I look for something like this?

Trace backwards from the email
Have your IT Department look a email headers and see where it originated (which box did it)
Does it happen instantly? Click Box → Send email? or is it on a schedule?

1 Like

https://www.epiusers.help/t/findincode-db-baq-or-why-we-all-love-jgiese-wci/104658

2 Likes

It appears to be instantly as they happen throughout the day at no set time schedule.

I will reach out to my IT dept then.

It appears to be sending from Epicor. I see nothing in the System Agent either at the time the last one was sent.

You probably have a bpm, baq report, or scheduled function running somewhere.

Try that dashboard to search the code, if you can find some terms that might work.

1 Like

I manually looked through all of those already and didn’t find any but I will try the dashboard on some terms and see if that helps. We don’t have a lot of BPMs or BAQ reports, and we have 0 functions set up currently as I am working on learning them. So again not sure but will try it.

You mentioned you checked all of them, but…

If it’s being triggered from a shipment, I’d first start checking APR (or APM, or whatever it was prior…). APR lives in report styles. Look through all of them. Maybe something is in an unexpected location.

For BPM’s, did you check in both Method Directives and Data Directives?

Is it possible someone coded this in a UI customization (in Customer Shipment Entry, if that’s where it’s getting triggered)?

So until I started they were using Crystal Reports only and no one had set up APR at all. So I have set up all APR and this wasn’t one I did.

BPM’s I checked through both Method and Data but didn’t see anything that appeared to be the culprit.

Unsure of the final one in a UI Customization and will look into that.

Do you have a SQL job running? If you are on prem you can create a SQL job to run a query and then create an HTML email or maybe PDF, I’m not sure.

Check your SQL server and the jobs running there.

Just checked there with no luck either.

Help me not be that guy, but “What is the business purpose of these emails?”

How many emails a day? What do they do with the email? (PLEASE tell me they’re not updating an Excel sheet somewhere) Are they boomers or older Gen-Xers and email is the only interface they know?

Youve Got Mail Computer GIF

Might be a great opportunity to improve the process. :person_shrugging:

That is actually why I need to find this @Mark_Wonsil because I am automating what they are doing and have created a BPM to do this all for them but I can’t find the old part to shut it down.

It basically gives a list of data from Customer Shipment Entry that our Customer Service person was then prettying up and sending an email to the customer to let them know that it shipped. So now the BPM does that for them but this other email fires every time something ships as well and I can not find it for the life of me. So as of now the customer service person is getting an extra email.

If you know it’s a widget, this BAQ will list all email widgets (one widget per directive) and who they are going to:

https://www.epiusers.help/t/baq-for-retrieving-email-addresses-used-in-bpm-mail-widgets/111158

1 Like

Do you have SSRS Breaking / Routing? That can be configured to sends an email

@Mark_Wonsil Was not in a widget unfortunately but that BAQ is nifty so thank you very much!

@johndack We do have that but I looked at the PackSlip report styles and none of them have any APR setup.

Might it be Kevin’s or Kevin’s email functions?

https://www.epiusers.help/t/lets-share-useful-functions-sharing-is-caring/100371/2

https://www.epiusers.help/t/lets-share-useful-functions-sharing-is-caring/100371/27

@Zerobertson The sql stored procedure below is a search of all tables for any piece of information. Something like the subject line would hopefully at least id the table and then from there you find the baq, bpm, etc.

Change the use at the top to your Epicor db. If you have a test or dev instance I would run it there.

Run the script to make the stored procedure and then in the db, programmability, Stored procedures right click execute on it. The in the value put the info to look for and click ok.

SearchAll.sql (2.0 KB)

1 Like

Love a good mystery but sounds like you’ve checked almost everything already…

How about SQL triggers? Maybe on the ShipHead table. Or any kind of obscure software running on the db server (which might be creating sql triggers)? I’ve seen that once before.

1 Like