Help with Setting Up and possibly Customizing Serial Numbers

We are just starting to look into Serialization for a specific product. We have worked with the system and got it working in our Pilot but the process seems so labor intensive for what we need. Does anyone have any ideas how to make the process work for our needs?

1. We need to match 1 child part to 1 parent part.
  2. We need to match the two parts during assembly because once assembled, you can no longer see one of the serial numbers.
  3. The parts receive to inventory, issued to a job, then transferred back to stock where it will ship from.
  4. We only need to trace the parts from assembly to shipping out the door. We don’t need to enter serial numbers throughout all of the moves.
  5. Serial matching as it is now doesn’t work for us as you can’t see the serial number without scanning the barcode. Epicor wants you to look through a long list of serial numbers and select the one that matches.

Is there a way to customize the Serial Matching screen that we can simply scan the parent and the child and they are matched?

Can the system be setup that we assign and match serial numbers at the same time?

I’m trying to get this process as paired down as I can and right now there are so many steps and it is going to take additional people just to deal with the serialization.

Any thoughts? I’ve tried calling our Customer Rep but there is no answer and her voice box is full.

Kind of in the same boat here. We only track the finished part by either the project or job number. I am wondering if I can skip all the production and shipping requirements and add serial numbers through DMT to all of our previous and future orders, and have these being useful in Epicor after the fact. I can’t see how to copyu a job number to a mask, and DMT could bridge this in my eyes.

Not sure if this is possible or if I merely want to have my cake and eat it too, without gaining weight?

Turning on serial numbers adds a lot of transactions. One options is to create your own serial tracking that only has the transactions you want. I usually don’t like replacing standard functionality with custom functionality, but serial numbers is one spot it seems reasonable to do.

We have customizations around serial match using the built in functionality (Job Parts). the customization allow users to match Serial Numbers assigned to a Job, though based on what you are looking to do, this isn’t going to help; as you don’t want to track the serialnumber of a part the moment the part is received.

We also have created a customization for serialized kits. This sounds more like what you are trying to do. Scan a parent item’s serialnumber, and then scan all of the child parts serialnumbers. We use one of the parent/child ud tables to do this.

As you can see from the screen shot its very basic.

Thank you all for your help!