Here we go again...influx of broken Copy-to-Excel tickets. Anyone else?

Hello Folks still stuck on the old version like me :slight_smile:

I have 5 helpdesk tickets open right now for Copy to Excel being broken and finance is screaming. Our usual fixes aren’t working:

• “Quick” online repair of Office 365 apps
  • “Full” online repair of Office 365 apps
  • Complete uninstall and reinstall of Office 365 apps
  • Complete uninstall/reinstall of Epicor 10.2 client
  • Clearing the Epicor client cache/ProgramData folder
  • Countless reboots through it all

Usually the Office repair fixes this but it simply isn’t working this time around. Any other tricks to try while I wait to hear from Epicor support?

There is a a big thread regarding that issue but I can’t find it now. Basically, you need to have a valid default printer in Windows.

Interesting. Copt to excel is working at work but not at home. Now I have to investigate.

Found the thread: https://www.epiusers.help/t/copy-to-excel/48630/78

You need to have a valid default printer set in Windows.

1 Like

Thank you! That totally fixed it. This right here is the exact reason I loathe software developers, because this makes no sense. :joy::man_facepalming: How sad that Epicor support couldn’t even provide this answer for us, given how much we pay them. Thanks again!

Glad that fixed it. I had to go do something weird in the registry for the default excel program.

Mixed Martial Arts Seriously GIF by UFC

Cat Glasses GIF by Leroy Patterson

So the reason why this is used in this case is so that the “page” size can be set on the worksheet when it exports so that if you want to print your spreadsheet it knows the page boundaries

now why wasn’t it surrounded in a try catch that’s a different story. But as to why it is there, is so that your excel sheet can have these nice page boundaries defined.
Required? No… Nice to have? Yes

Don’t loathe us poor developers we are just trying our best out here :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

First thoughts, as a sysadmin, is that maybe your default printer is a network printer that is unavailable over VPN? It seems setting it to any queue works, although I haven’t tried Microsoft Print to PDF.

Wait, you are telling me that I’ve been helping for free all along? :smiley: Hmm… need to make a buymeacoffe page

3 Likes

I already told you I owe you a :beers: at Insights.

At this point, we all owe each other beers, so let’s just buy our own. :rofl:

2 Likes

:joy: Interesting! Thanks for explaining. I’m just jaded by all the crazy stuff I’ve seen as a sysadmin over the years

Thanks! I’ve been asked more than once why it checks the printer so now I have a real answer that’s close to what I’ve been using. “The export uses the print spooler for formatting instead of plain text output” :sweat_smile: