How often to Capture COS/WIP? Monthly? Weekly? Daily?

I don’t know what I don’t know. (@hkeric.wci proved that the other day.) So I’m asking a really fundamental question today.

We run “Capture COS/WIP Activity” only at “month end,” unless doing an upgrade, etc.

I was asked today, “Could we run it daily or weekly? What would be the disadvantages?”

I mean, for one, you lock in whatever accounts things go to - so if something hits suspense or - yikes - debits and credits don’t balance at all, it’s over.

Does anyone here “capture” more often than monthly? What pitfalls are there?

EDIT: See poll a couple posts down.

Old thread for V8 but points should still apply in E10

1 Like

We were taught by a great Epicor finance guy to capture after Tuesday thru the previous Sunday, so we can produce weekly statements to gage the month. This will vary on when you invoice Friday/Saturday shipments.

You don’t want to capture up thru today unless it is month end as this stops any labor from being corrected.

1 Like

OK I read every other post with “capture” and “daily” except that one. I guess the name threw me off. Well I feel silly for missing it. Thank you, Bruce.

The question that comes up here over and over is, “Why can’t I see GL activity during the month?” Consumables by department is a big one. I guess I also want to know if others get asked the same things.

Maybe a poll?

How often does your organization run “Capture COS/WIP”?

• Daily Real Time
  • Daily Staggered (a delay of a day or two)
  • Weekly Real Time
  • Weekly Staggered (a delay of a day or two)
  • Monthly

0 voters

Interesting. I added that to the poll.

We always did 2-3 day delay so Supervisors had time to fix Labor times and Payroll also didn’t pull the punches until 2 days later.

2 Likes

Wonder if your users are already using the “Inventory/WIP Reconciliation” report?
to give an idea of activity they would see when they finally run the capture?

We do Daily. Only because the Accountants would get antsy not having GL accounts that are “live”.

And I don’t think there’s many “unreversable” things that happen during Capture COS/WIP. If you receive a PO Receipt, then “un-receive it”, and the “re-receive” - it creates new parttrans at each step. You could still “un-receive it” after the receipt is captured and posted.

1 Like

Oh goodness, yes. All the time. The A point of contention is that consumables, for example, are done on both a PO (Inv-WIP report) AND on AP invoices with no PO (hits GL directly).

Right, I think I had a fear of that, but it’s invoicing that locks in a receipt, not the capture.

Seems like the only two sticking points are:

• Make sure the accounts are right (esp. no suspense)
  • Labor detail

Thank you all.

1 Like

The only issue in posting daily is you can’t reverse Labour detail entries. I recommend scheduling Capture COS/WIP on workdays with ending date as Yesterday.

2 Likes

one method I have seen is:

1. run daily
  2. BUT, use a date 7 days ago as the capture date
    What this does is it allows one week to do any correcting labor & material entries. This can be especially important in a backflush environment, because reversing those can be really hard if the data is already captured.
    But this also always depends on the business volume. If the company is large with lots of transactions, then capturing can take much longer. I have seen some companies try to delay to only run one time per month, and then it takes really long (hours) to run.
    Also remember that running more often creates more GL transactions. The system cannot summarize as much with running more often.
3 Likes