How To: Adding Columns to Existing Kinetic Grid

Show me how you set this up:

Sorry for the late reply. This is how I added and it worked:

What do you mean by “merged”?
As per my observation dataview-condition is rather doing a “link” between view from Dataview field (QuoteDlt) and Results field (matches).
I found this out when I used data-clear widget later in my app and I cleared ‘matches’ view and my whole original view (in your case QuoteDtl) was cleared as well.
Is this a bug?

Merged as in the new column data is added to the “matches” view and then QuoteDtl and Matches are displayed together to show the new column.

It seems odd that it would clear QuoteDtl when you tried to clear Matches, however. :thinking:
Let me play with this and see what I find.

Yup, I replicated this behavior.
In my opinion, it’s not a bug because the matches table would hold the extra information that is now supposed to be in the QuoteDtl table. If you clear matches, you leave that column in QuoteDtl orphaned, so by clearing one, it clears the other to prevent possible bad data (I’m speculating here).

You shouldn’t need to clear matches, however. The next time you run it, it will be replaced with new data.

There’s some speculation about whether we need to add some new widgets to the iteration event. @aosemwengie1 discovered that if you add the column, the view triggers the hasChanges property on the view to true and tries to call an update on the unchanged view and barks at ya.

To fix it, you need to add some widgets before and after the row-update widgets. (Bold is new)
event-row-disable > row-update > dataview-commit > event-row-enable

If you run into errors when going into the lines, review this post:
Adding a calculated field to a kinetic dataview? - Kinetic 202X - Epicor User Help Forum (epiusers.help)

1 Like

Hannah - Epicor needs to hire you to write a Kinetic Customizations for Dummies book. Seriously, there are SO many unwritten rules on getting Kinetic customizations to work. Thank you very much for sharing and helping us all.

4 Likes

Dax Shepard Money GIF

GIF by Idiocracy

Terry Crews I Got A Solution GIF by Idiocracy

GIF by Idiocracy

Do not taunt the happy fun Kinetic Queen.

I hope Hannah gets the money, but instead of hiring someone to explain why Epicor’s stuff doesn’t work, maybe they should make it usable without following a hundred unwritten rules.

3 Likes

Be careful what you wish for. That’s what keeps this Ponzi scheme going. We have a whole
economy here. How else are we going to keep all us Programmers, Consultants, and Managers
employed?

1 Like

@hmwillett, I’ve followed all of these steps, but am still unable to get it working. Did you have to edit the grid to add the new column? I’m wondering if this is where I’m making a mistake.

Thanks for the great tutorial!

Yes

Hi Alisa,

Thanks for the response. I’m trying to add a checkbox column and depending on how I set it up I’m getting either a column full of checked boxes or a column full of empty checkboxes. In the tutorial it looks like it was also a checkbox column that was added, but I’m unsure how this was accomplished.

Here is how I’ve set up the new column:

In the Ep Binding field is the column I added to the ECOMtl view using the tutorial. Is there anything I need to do in the Erp Editor Model? There is another EpBinding field there but I don’t understand the difference.

Get rid of the epBinding; you don’t need that.

Show me your event that has the dataview-condition as well as the iteration event that does the row-update.

Okay, I removed the epBinding.

Here is my population event and its dataview condition:

Here is my iteration event, I was working earlier to add these widgets to it but had to shut down and start over. Do I use event-row-disable/enable or the event-column-disable/enable? I am a little confused at what these extra widgets are accomplishing.

Show me the details of the row-update within the iteration event.

I’m not 100% sure yet as I have to do more testing, but I would say don’t bother unless you’re getting errors like Alisa was.

Sorry about that, here’s the row-update: