How to launch Order Entry using Customer default plant?

Bonjour,

We now have 5 plants. I have been asked if possible to launch Order entry according to the customer default plant.

At first, I thought of loading a customer list dashboard, and then the user would do right click /open with on the customer ID, and having all 5 Order Entry menus for each plant. Choose the right one.

But How do I make sure the selected menu opens in a specific plant ?

A way I will provide is create 5 tiles on their main vue, one for each plant. (that would work for awhile but not a long term solution…)

But ideally, I would love to only needing to use one open with menu, and pass along the customer default plant during launch.

How can I do that. ?

Thank you

Pierre

How are you defining your customer “Default Plant”?

EDIT: Order Entry doesn’t open in a specific “plant”, only the Order Release specifies which plant the item is to ship from. It might just be easier to use whatever functionality you have right now to define a default plant and just assign each release for that customer to that plant.

I mean do what you want, but this might be an opportunity to ask if the benefit of this feature is worth the effort.

It must be in human nature, because I routinely see people asking for some piece of data to be defaulted in when they open x dashboard. Most of the time, IMO, this is data that should not be defaulted in, and in fact, it would be best if it was left blank, forcing the person to make the correct decision every time. Defaulting in data can provide the illusion of efficiency but on the flipside can lead to mistakes when the default isn’t the correct value.

People get very hung up on these little way to be more ‘efficient’ that don’t really seem that worthwhile or exciting to me. Using Epicor as it comes is not inherently inefficient.

The day someone having to choose the correct value from a dropdown menu is my company’s biggest problem I will be doing my job from a beach in Tahiti.

/rant

1 Like

Hi Pierre,

I think I agree more with Ernie’s solution, to default release plant based on … We have 3 plants and share ordering and parts from each. I have not setup a bpm to make it come from correct plant, but we use product group sales plant to default most of the time. Can you store a plant for a customer on UD field on customer (shipto?) and default that on sales order releases w that id on order?

Nancy

Yes.
We have a UD field on the Customer table indicating this. I guess it was for avoiding erreurs in the release plants…
But if I open an order using the base version of Order Entry, Only one plant is available to choose from, the current plant when the form was opened with…
hence unable to choose from other plants…

Unless if I force it to the customer plant it can be saved anyway… I will need to test…

I agree in spirit Garret but not in truth. :weary: We have thousands of parts shared among 3 plants and probably about 15 people doing order entry. That is a herd of cats we have not been able to tame! Defaulting in as much as we can to make the order not need a planner checking every one is what we find we need most.

Nancy

Looks like there is other stuff here relating to customers, parts, and plants… so whatever solution you devise will need to be incorporated into what’s already in place. Make sure each plant is assigned to every part number, and that every salesperson userID has access to each plant as well. Out of the box, any user in order entry should be able to specify any plant that a particular part has assigned.

1 Like

But works well when I open the module via tiles because the plant is part of it. I kind of want to recreate that but via a open with…call order entry the same as with the tile…forcing the plant in the call of the module…
How would I acheive that?

Thanks

Pierre

Check the exact menu path that the tile opens… likely there is a customization on that Order Entry menu item (I think the default tile menu path is via Customer Relationship Management > Operations > Order Entry). You can either change the path on everyone’s tile OR you can add the customization onto Sales Management > Operations > Order Entry.

EDIT: but beware… you may be customizing onto an already existing customization… it would be best if you know exactly what you’re trying to graft onto…

Actually, what would solve my need is the following:

Launch a menu by forcing the plant when opening. To simulate how the tiles work when we can spécify for which plant the tile will open under.

How do I do that?

I thought of using the open with feature under the client ID, showing 5 different menu to open Order Entry , one for each plant, which would open a UD form having code to launch Order Entry under the desired plant, then close the udForm.

So I only need to know how (in code) I can launch a menu specifiying the plant it is opening under…to simulate how tiles work…

Unless there is a way to call a Launch of a specific Tile … ?

Pierre

Consider that Product Group and define the plant the product is provided from.
So when you are adding the products, the product group could change the plant.

Have you tried a BPM that would change the plant?