How to program two subassemblies to be considered manufacturing at the same time?

Hi, good morning!!

I want epicor to consider programming two or more subassemblies to be manufactured at the same time, I have enough resources per area but I don’t program them at the same time, do you know of any way to do the subsequent operations? Right now epicor schedules the cutting operation for me on Monday and the bending operation until Wednesday when the bending operation does not carry any material or anything that could delay the process or operation.

Regards

Have you looked at the scheduling setting

1 Like

Hi @aclements !!

I already have it configured that way, according to the EPICOR manuals the first operation must be Finish-To-Start and the predecessor operations I have as Start-To-Start but even so I schedule the operations with a fairly long period of time , that’s why my question if there is any other configuration or I need to configure something.

I have the same issue. Started using subassemblies within main assemblies, but now the subassemblies are all lined up to be produced in one single day instead of taking into account production standards. Say we have 10 work orders with 10 products each with a subassembly in 10 days. But subassemblies are lined up on the first day all at once.

1 Like

Have you tested subsequent operations set to “Finish to Finish” to see if the back scheduling works out better?

1 Like

It works within main assemblky operations, but not with subassemblyies withint in main assembly:

Mech51V can start at the same time as 2900042 subassembly in this example.

1 Like

Well, a workaround is to add the subassembly to the 2nd operation in the mainsassembly. Then the subassembly starts with the 1st operation on schedule.

1 Like

I cannot remember, but I thought to make 2 subassemblies run concurrently, the first operation on the lower numbered subassembly needs to be start to start.

So if you have Asm 0 with 2 subassemblies (1 & 2), you need to set the first op on Asm 1 to start to start.

1 Like

Hi

@jkane
all subassemblies at the same level have the Start-to-Start option selected but it is not correct the programming order, keep scheduling operations on different days and not continuous, try with capacity and capability with no positive results.

@rennat have you found any solution?

1 Like

@CTapia , have you set a Send Ahead on those operations? Also, do you have Asm 2 & 3 pointing to Asm 0?

@jkane Yes, I have assembly 2 and 3 pointing to assembly 0, you need to build assembly 2 and 3 at the same time in order to build assembly 0. what do you mean by a Send Ahead?

Send Ahead is what controls when Operations that are start to start can start.

I work in sheet metal, so our send ahead is usually quantity as once a sheet is cut it can move to the next operation. You have to set the send ahead or the system does not know when the second operation can start.

1 Like

me too work in sheet metal, but I use Percentage in Send Ahead Type, what option es better in the first operation?

That is all preference. I use quantity because if we are doing a job for 100 pieces and we get 10 pieces per sheet, one a sheet is cut the next operation can begin.

1 Like

ok,
Epicor help mentions that it is better to use the Finish-To-Start option in the first operation of each subassembly, but I think the Start-To-Start option may be better if I want the subassemblies of the same level to start the same, right?

2 Likes

Are you finite or infinite?

1 Like

finite, we work with finite resources

1 Like

So, I’ve been going through Epicor’s documentation and playing around in my environment and I have been successful in having 2 peer subassemblies schedule at the same time. There was nothing special that needs to be done, Epicor will automatically schedule peers to run at the same time. The only thing that should impact the schedule not working this way would be if they were both using the same resource.

1 Like

@jkane
If I understand you, it is not necessary to make a special configuration, as long as they are not using the same resource, for that, is it better not to have resource groups with more than one resource? because if we select a resource group that contains 3 machines Epicor can select the same resource to make different subassemblies, is it necessary to select a field to indicate that the subassemblies can be manufactured at the same time? any checkbox?

Correct, it is not necessary to make a special configuration.

As long as the scheduling system has options (through Capabilities or Resource Groups) to select different resources for the same operation, there should not be an issue. Of course, if you have 3 resources trying to be used in 4 different jobs at the same time, something will be bumped.

No, there is no check box or anything to indicate they can run at the same time. As long as the 2 subassemblies are peers (not parent or children) the system can schedule them to run at the same time.

2 Likes