How to ship Sales Orders already invoiced to adjust Demand Qty

Hello,

We had some sales orders flowing through a pretty bad fulfillment process, summarized here:

• Create sales order
  • Invoice sales order
  • Perform manual qty adjustment of the inventory sold

Obviously this was the wrong way to process the orders, and I’m trying to close the orders now to adjust the Demand Qty because it seems like they can’t process the orders the correct way now due to demand / allocated qty levels.

Voiding the order releases, order lines and orders seems to “solve” the problem, but I’d prefer not to void the orders if possible. This is what I was thinking:

• Get all the open sales orders that were invoiced but not shipped.
  • Get all the parts on those orders, and their total demand qty.
  • Adjust the qty for those parts.
  • Ship the orders.
  • Somehow avoid invoicing them again?

Is there are way to close a sales order without voiding it, and without invoicing it?
Or, is there perhaps a way to associate a new Customer Shipment with an existing Invoice?

Any help on this subject would be appreciated!

How did you invoice the sales order before shipping? Normally you can’t invoice an order (you invoice the shipment) , unless you did a prepayment?

If so you can just adjust the inventory back in and ship it like normal.

If the invoice was a pre-payment it will apply to the order as a credit memo. Thus “washing out” the second invoice.

I’m not exactly sure how finance has been invoicing the orders, but I can see in the database that the InvcDtl table has the OrderNum and OrderLine correctly linked. But the PackNum and PackLine are missing. And these aren’t pre-payments. They’re the final payments.

I did notice that during the Invoice Entry process, Get Shipments action, there is an option for “Not Shipped,” pictured below.

It sort of makes sense to have the option to invoice a customer prior to shipment, but there must be a way to avoid invoicing the customer again after the shipment.

Are the Packnum & Line missing or 0. If 0 then it was a dropshipment

Edit

Always been on my to do list to investigate further how dropship works so just reviewed and found the DropShipPackLine, DropShipPackSlip, DropShipPONum columns. Always thought there was more if 0 was a entry in a DB that clearly links to other items.

John,
This sounds like advance payments or deposits invoices were created.
You need to create a pack slip and check the shipped box. Adjust the inventory back in.
If you ever think you need to adjust inventory to complete a process, something is wrong.

@josecgomez is correct, the invoiced amount will show up and the balance will be what ever is left.

I would recommend that you have a lunch and learn meeting where you walk through the sale order entry, picking, shipping, and invoicing so everyone is on the same page.

Bruce

1 Like

Hey Matt,
They are not “missing” as I said, sorry. They are 0.

@josecgomez and @LarsonSolutions
I talked to Finance and they are creating the invoices using the New Miscellaneous Invoice option.
AR Invoice Entry

They’re not using Advance Billing or Deposit Billing. When I tested creating the Shipments, the orders closed properly, but they still showed up in the Pack Slip Browse form when using the Get Shipments action during invoicing.

Why… wow… that’s insane

There isn’t a quick fix here, the proper way would be to

Adjust the Parts Back in
Credit Memo Reverse all those Invoices
Ship Orders
Invoice them

That’s a lot of work though.

At this point your best bet is to find everything that has been invoiced and adjusted and just mass close those orders. (which will void the orders)

And cut your losses… But this is going to throw a giant wrench into your COGS reports, and everything else. How long has this been going on?

1 Like

It looks like invoicing with the shipment and Misc invoice Credit and Debit almost the same accounts. You could set the $ of the sales orders to 0 and just ship them. Then just make sure you credited the correct accounts.
My background is not finance so take this with a grain of salt.

Thank you, everyone, for your feedback.
I don’t think there’s a quick fix here. We’ll probably end up using a DMT to close all the order releases, which will also close and void the orders it looks like.

Thanks for your help!