How to update default records in ShipTo table

I’m trying to update the UPSQVShipFromName field in our ShipTo table, to set the value of this field to our company name for all records with an empty value. I’ve got the DMT set up with all the required fields plus the one I am changing:
“Company”,“CustNumCustID”,“ShipToNum”,“Name”,“UPSQVShipFromName”

I’m populating the DMT table from the following query:

SELECT ShipTo.Company,Customer.CustID, ShipTo.ShipToNum,ShipTo.Name, 'Company Name' AS UPSQVShipFromName 
FROM Erp.ShipTo 
JOIN Customer
ON Customer.CustNum = ShipTo.CustNum
WHERE ShipTo.UPSQVShipFromName = '';

However, when I go to actually perform the DMT it fails miserably: Out of over 5,000 records to be updated, it fails on over 4,000 with the error:

Customer ZZZZZZZZ: ShipTo    Table: ShipTo  Msg: Not allowed to update default ShipTo.

I’m a bit puzzled as to how to proceed, because obviously I need to update this field in all records including the default, and it’s unclear to me why Epicor doesn’t want me to and how to get it to let me.

I think you just change the customer record for anything with a ShipToNum = ‘’

I’m not following what you mean by that. ShipToNum = ‘’ in the cases it refuses to updated, so how do I change these records with the DMT?

The customer record goes into the ShipTo table as ShipToNum=’’. As far as I know anything in the ShipTo table that has that ShipToNum cannot be updated via DMT, unless you update the customer record instead. For all other ship to records try:

SELECT ShipTo.Company,Customer.CustID, ShipTo.ShipToNum,ShipTo.Name, 'Company Name' AS UPSQVShipFromName 
FROM Erp.ShipTo 
JOIN Customer
ON Customer.CustNum = ShipTo.CustNum
WHERE ShipTo.UPSQVShipFromName = '' AND ShipTo.ShipToNum <> '';

Thanks Doug. It looks like that is the solution, specifically for records with ShipTo.ShipToNum=’’ I have to use the “Customer” DMT instead of “ShipTo”, with fields “Company”,“CustNumCustID”,“Name”, and “UPSQVShipFromName”.

Well it appears that I spoke too soon. I had no issue running the DMT, but when I’m done and re-run my query, nothing has been put into the UPSQVShipFromName field.

Are you setting the UPSQuantumView variable to True?

No. I was just looking at that, I suspect it needs to be true, although I’m not sure if there are any other unintended consequences of setting that.

I just know you need to follow the steps that you would do on the customer form. In order to enter that information the Notify has to be set to true.

We’ve set it on several of our customers that have requested to be notified via Quantum View.

Well this is odd, setting UPSQuantumView to true doesn’t fix the problem; neither are set after the DMT (But again, no errors). Also, in looking at some of the records that have UPSQVShipFromName set by the DMT, some of them don’t have UPSQuantumView set!

I submitted a ticket to Epicor support but I am puzzled by their response. I provided the CSV file we fed to the DMT, and screen shots showing the DMT window and the Customer Maintenance window. Instead of helping us, they tried their own data on their own instance of Epicor (presumably it’s the same version as our, but the screenshots they sent don’t explicitly say), and were unable to reproduce the problem. And because of that they blamed either my data (which I sent them, so they should be able to tell me if there is something wrong with it) or the environment and said it was beyond the scope of their support if it is one of these things.

What possible things with our environment could cause a DMT to silently ignore all the data I feed it?