IDC Export to ECM

I had just sent some documents through IDC and noticed that not all of them got transferred over to ECM. I went into our IDC Export folder and found the invoices I was looking for (among others) sitting out of the Processed folder.

Does anyone know what causes this or how I can get them to process?

Would probably need more information to be able to provide guidance as it could be a number of things. Your best first step would be to turn on the “Log to File” option on the “Log Viewer” tab, then navigate to the “Import Job Management” tab and with the import job highlighted, select the “Send to Log” option at the bottom right. This will then create a file folder and text file in the folder listed in the “Log Viewer” tab. Within that text file will be better details as to what the cause may be.

1 Like

Unfortunately it’s not showing up in the “Import Job Management” screen. The other batches I’ve submitted today appear when I check the “Show Successful Jobs” box, but I cannot see the batches that have the documents I see in the IDC Export folder.

Is there any way I can tell IDC to finish that transaction?

1 Like

Oh, I had thought you meant that they successfully exported from IDC and errored in importing to ECM. Are they still in IDC at the Export step? You should see this in the Admin Panel > Batches tab. If that’s the case, check to see if the Active Clients lists the Export Client. It may just be that the services need to be restarted.

Sorry, I should have clarified better. I currently have no batches in IDC, which is why I thought that had left IDC. It looks like it could just be in the part of the process between IDC and ECM. Where do I check the Active Clients list and restart the services?

Oh, if you have no batches in IDC then that would suggest they all exported. You could also check the Reports tab to see the status of the batch numbers. I wouldn’t expect a user to remember them, but they should all say that they’re completed.

The Active Clients can be found in the Admin panel. It’s the bottom option on the left side of the screen. As for the services, these are Windows services that can be found in that program. Each will have “IDC” in their name.

Tried looking at our Reports tab and data never loads (so I guess I’ll have to talk with our consultant about that).

I did just try running one of those invoices back through IDC and it exported fine into ECM. Although, after I sent that invoice through, all of the XML files that were sitting outside of the “Processed” folder, and are associated with the invoices in question, moved into the “Processed” folder, but the invoices are still not moving into that folder.

Are you able to provide some screenshots of your configurations without any specific vendor related data? Having a visual may provide more details as to what may be going on there…

Not sure if this helps at all, but in this picture, there are 7 invoices that were processed through IDC, but never reached ECM (I had been doing the Data Verification step manually)

I’ve sent others through IDC since noticing this problem, and they would briefly show up in this “IDC Export” folder and outside of the “Processed” subfolder, but then would get moved to “Processed” soon after and I can view them in ECM.

What other visuals do you need? Wasn’t sure what else to provide.

As there as lots of potential issues that could be causing this, I am not exactly sure all that may be needed to troubleshoot this. I suppose the ECM Client batch import settings could provide some relevant information. One thing that stands out is that I don’t see any accompanying XML files to these PDF’s. Did those process and the PDF’s remain? This is assuming you are using the XML import format in the ECM Client, but that would also be confirmed with a screenshot of your setup. The Import Job Management and Log Viewer tabs could also provided relevant details.

They did have XML files that processed and left the PDF’s behind (which I meant to include in my last reply). Confirmed that the Batch Import type is XML and when I try and “Test Import”, it says it can’t find any XML files in that folder. Is it possible that the XML got processed without the PDF and so now those are trapped there?

Here is the recent part of the Main Log

That seems strange to me that that would occur and there not be an error report in the Import Job Management tab. There’s a number of reasons this could occur, including the batch import settings, permissions, file names, field formats and many more. It’s tough to troubleshoot without being able to get into your system to check through all of these, which is typically what we would do in a case like this. You may need to work with your consultant to decipher the issues unless you’d like to continue to provide a lot more details here.

It sounds like the XML file is not getting processed out of IDC. I have rarely had that happen and we would just enter the invoice manually and move on.

I would process these a few times with the IDC import and export folders open and refreshing the batch page in the admin panel, so I could watch the process as it happens.

Then if both files are not getting processed out of IDC DocStar support will have to reach out to Ancora for assistance.

Ok, that’s kind of what I figured would need to be done. No need for me to take up any more of your time.

Thank you for trying though! I definitely know more about the process now than I did before!

I would suggest it’s an issue with the ECM client or the EclipseAutomation service or both. If on prem, might a permissions issue with the service account linked to sql and EAS. If on cloud, would check if the ECM client shows in the Capture tab or on admin>datalinks/integrations.

Close ecm client and reopen. Check if the client shows in capture.

Restart EAS and recheck client.

The issue is client is not importing files and moving them due to a client issue.

I don’t want to add to the confusion. But this sounds similar to an issue I experienced a year ago when my network admins deployed some security solution on my IDC & ECM servers (on prem) which caused either a delay in the creation of the PDFs or a lock on the new PDFs (forgot which) until this security tool was satisfied that the new PDF was safe. In the meantime, the ECM client service had already processed the XML – and nothing was imported into ECM, because the ECM client service was unable to access the corresponding PDF.

If I remember correctly, the ECM client service tries to rename the PDF momentarily when it processes it (the PDF) and the XML. If that ECM client service is unable to rename the file, it just moved the XML to processed, but nothing really got imported.

I remember getting frustrated when I discussed this with my well-intentioned network admins. One of them made it clear that PDFs were a BIG SECURITY RISK that needed to be scanned to prevent phishing / ransomware / malware / etc. Apparently, XML files either were not as risky (not queued up for the same scanning) or they were scanned but extremely faster than the PDFs. I tried to explain that these PDFs were created by IDC as part of an interface or integration between IDC & ECM. At first, my explanation was ignored. Finally, I put my foot down & they made an exception for PDFs coming from IDC.

1 Like

Still have no clue why those invoices never got sent over to ECM, but wanted to share something related to this issue that could maybe help others that were in my situation. I’m sure it’s common knowledge but for someone who had limited knowledge of DocStar at the time, this was not obvious to me at all.

A few weeks ago, one of my accountants noticed that the titles for some of our invoices in ECM didn’t match the information on the PDF. The vendor would be correct, but the PO would be something that we didn’t even have an invoice for (or at least we thought). It wasn’t until I looked at the IDC Export → Processed folder on the server that I realized most of the invoices that were messed up were ones where we got multiple from the same vendor at the same time. Our consultant had set up the PDF/XML to be titled “[Vendor] and FT_INVOICE_NUMBER”!!!

This meant that for invoices from the same vendor exporting to ECM at the same time, it was the timing of when the PDF and XML got processed that determined which two were matched up together in ECM. Had to go into Admin Panel → Batch Types and then scroll down to the “Export Settings” section. There, I had to change “FT_INVOICE_NUMBER” to “$(DocNum)” in order to use the actual invoice number in the file name (changed in both the XML and the PDF tab).

Once again, I’m sure most people know this already, but hopefully this can help someone who may have found themselves in this similar situation.

This is a good catch! We typically just use the “$DocID” macro as it is a unique identifier and one that both IDC and the ECM Client can handle well. I have also ran into an issue in using the vendor name field as part of the document because certain vendors had a “/” in their name, which would create a new subfolder in the export folder. Lots of little things to be mindful of.

1 Like

Oh wow, I never would have thought about a “/” in the vendor name, but sure enough, we have plenty of vendors like that (just not going through DocStar yet). I’m glad you said something!

Lol Yea, that one took a lot of troubleshooting to figure out just what was going on. As much as the other options are nice to have, it’s the little things like that that generally have us configure things with just $DocID in place. Ideally, the time it takes to go from IDC to ECM and get a title is indistinguishable to the user so there isn’t really a need for the file to be named anything else. If you need to find the raw export at a later point, you can always use the Action Menu > Audit Trail to see the original $DocId and then search for that number in your exports folder.