Identifying when a document gets stuck in the distributes queue

Hi everyone,

We have a workflow that starts by importing PDF files from a network folder. These are scans from a multifunction device.

The first step of the workflow is to look for / read a bar code.

Very occasionally the scanned PDF seems to be corrupt and so it gets stuck in the distributed queue. Whilst we are working on a root cause for this it is reasonable to assume that it is a thing that can happen occasionally.

Does anyone know of a way to get a notification (email I suppose) out to notify someone if a document is sitting in the distributed queue with an error?

Obviously it will be sat in the workflow still so can been identified that way, but the workflow itself has no exception as it just thinks its waiting for the document.

Generally the users don’t use the ECM client and whilst I tend to notice these issues as an administrator I would like for the users to be notified in this instance so they can attempt a rescan and for me / my team to be notified so we can go ahead and remove the offending file.

Any ideas gratefully received :smiley:

Steve

1 Like

Steve, it’s odd to me that it’s getting stuck in distributed queue…

It should flow to a workflow step even if it can’t read the barcode.

Here are a couple of examples. The error is that it can’t be processed because there are no pages but actually the PDF can’t be opened.

Here are the distributed queue entries:

The workflow queue

Have I got a configuration setting wrong somewhere maybe? :thinking:

That’s rough Steve.

Have you already opened up a help chat with the ECM team?

Sometimes they can help, but get a little weird if it starts to sound too custom… but this to me is somethign they should be able to help you configure.

Maybe steve.

We find that larger multipage files are “too big” when coming out of a MF device. There should be a setting in the device to alter the output to something like “highly compressed multi-page PDF”. This is what it’s called on our RICOH machines. It cleared things up for us.

2 Likes

I haven’t logged it yet, not having the best time with EPICOR support right now :man_facepalming: so thought I would ask here first, just in case.

Use the chat feature on ECM, they aren’t the same team really. A little different.

Thanks Mike! That’s great advice and insight!

@steveh you should check this out.

1 Like

Thanks @MikeGross

1 Like

It’s not odd unfortunately, the EclipseAutomation service or ECM client is stuck. Use task kill to stop the service and close the ECM client. Start the service and clear the distributed queue.

I usually setup a scheduled task to restart the EAS and IDC services on the IDC server. Then the services should stay active minus any updates to the ECM client, also restart DQM service to complete this issue.