In transit Inventory

I’ve read all the posts regarding in-transit inventory and I haven’t found anything useful.
Can somebody please provide some advice.
Operations needs to track inventory in-transit. From an accounting perspective, the inventory has been prepaid for and accounted for as prepaid. It is on the ocean. for all legal perspective, it is our inventory. But I don’t want it included in the inventory value. I’ve looked at the options suggested before that say create a new warehouse/bin. make it non-nettable. I’ve tried this. The inventory transaction is still PUR-STK, which includes the inventory in Stock and also includes the $ value in my inventory.
Does EPICOR have an In-transit option? I see this tab in the Part Tracker. How do I use it and get Inventory to be flagged as In-Transit.
Thank you.

The In-Transit tab you see is for Site to Site transactions on transfer orders.

Typically, we see the container landed cost module used to track inventory on water. You can track the containers that are shipped. This also help within landed cost being applied to material burden.

3 Likes

I don’t have the Landed cost module. Is there a way to track ocean shipments out of the box.
Does the Purchase Order module have a way to flag this, if not possible in the Inventory module?
Is there a way to change the GL account for Warehouse? I did not see this option

You could set up a OnTheOcean Warehouse and then tie it to the GL you want using the GL Control for that Warehouse.

1 Like

I’ve tried to link to the GL I want, but the GL control for Warehouse is only Division. Can you please advise how I can pick a different GL control. Thanks.

The only way I found is what’s already mentioned here - a separate warehouse for the in-transit goods. And it is not a full solution, more of a workaround. When goods physically leave the seller company, you ship them from there and you also receive them in the buyer company, directly into that warehouse. This will allow you to invoice in both companies and keep your Accounts happy. When the goods physically arrive in the buyer company, you move them out of that in-transit warehouse.
When you look at what’s on-hand in that in-transit warehouse - that should match with what’s physically on the way.
I’m not accounts but I think we have separate GL accounts for the intercompany customers & suppliers. And I guess there are some journals made at every month end.

Pretty sure you can’t. I’d just create a Division Control with GL you want.

The tab in part tracker is for in-transit transfer inventory. Not sure if this is intercompany or inter-site (divisional trading). Part tracker would only show on that in-transit tab for something you have sent on a transfer order but it’s not received at the other site yet.

For inter-company, we are setting up all of our received inventory from our supplying company to go to an “In-Transit Warehouse” and to go on inspection required or through inspection processing. It requires then an additional step beyond moving to take it out off inspection and return back to inventory but it makes it easier if there is a discrepancy and a claim is needed say if it was short shipped. The other thing it does is creates a pur-ins transaction so we can build a dashboard by that transaction type and if it’s still pending inspection for what is in-transit. Not there yet with the dashboard.

The issue with the Inspection route is it doesn’t trigger the normal “inventory” transactions. It can affect the GL in unfavorable ways.

@sdsilva, the way I ended up doing it like what others have said but with an additional step.

I set up a GL control type for “Warehouse Inventory” whose context is only inventory. I then assigned a GL control to the in-transit warehouse based on this type. The additional step I did was to customize the posting engine to first follow the normal warehouse GL control to get the division, but then assign the inventory accounts to those transactions based on the custom GL control type for the in-transit warehouse.

When we receive the PO into the in-transit warehouse, it goes to the in-transit accounts. When the inventory actually arrives, the transaction from that warehouse (in our case – transfer order) to our standard warehouse is completed, it removes it from the in-transit accounts and puts it into inventory.

Our EU team wants to inspect everything coming from the US anyways so it fits better with our company. We also have advanced QC and AMM so we can use both to make sure everything goes appropriately.

Thank you all for the responses. I will try and let you know how it goes.