Inactivating Parts that are part of a BOM

> We would like to inactivate about 18,000 parts.
You can try to query the PartMtl.MtlPartNum to locate the methods containing your parts.
And query JobMtl.PartNum to find jobs with open requirements for those parts.

Mass updating with DMT is probably a good option.
I've performed mass updates to the PartMtl table with other tools. It is one table I consider "reasonably" safe to update.
Jobs on the other hand, I'd usually handle manually.

>MRP would place jobs that had "inactive"...
>... but this is not the case.
Yes, this has been a pain for me too. I finally made a few simple customizations to help users recognize inactive parts while they are working on methods.
- Added the Part.Inactive field to the Engineering workbench and and Job Entry details
- Added a custom indented BOM that includes the Part.Inactive display

"Mass Part Replace/Delete" works nicely if you were only going to inactivate a few parts.

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "mobilevox" <juy@...> wrote:
>
> We would like to inactivate about 18,000 parts. Our problem is we don't have visibility when we do that on parts that are part of a BOM. We have an issue where they are not planned by MRP. We reviewed the job material before releasing and saw that the parts were not planned in time phase by MRP. Further investigation showed that if we manually released the jobs, we would have to "activate" the part before MRP had visibility of it.
>
> We previously thought that MRP would place jobs that had "inactive" parts on the planning workbench as a problem to resolve, but this is not the case. Therefore, we have no visibility or control to identify the problem until it is too late (i.e. the job release date). We get allocations but we don't get suggestions to fulfill the allocations.
>
> Does anyone have this issue and if so, how did you manage to get this to work in your favor. Any suggestions?
>
We would like to inactivate about 18,000 parts. Our problem is we don't have visibility when we do that on parts that are part of a BOM. We have an issue where they are not planned by MRP. We reviewed the job material before releasing and saw that the parts were not planned in time phase by MRP. Further investigation showed that if we manually released the jobs, we would have to "activate" the part before MRP had visibility of it.

We previously thought that MRP would place jobs that had "inactive" parts on the planning workbench as a problem to resolve, but this is not the case. Therefore, we have no visibility or control to identify the problem until it is too late (i.e. the job release date). We get allocations but we don't get suggestions to fulfill the allocations.

Does anyone have this issue and if so, how did you manage to get this to work in your favor. Any suggestions?
What I've recently had to do for a variety of issues requiring a fully exploded BOM (we have parts with up to 7 levels of subassemblies) requires going outside the system, but it is effective (if a little time-consuming).

We're on 9.04.507A, and have about 6000 manufactured parts and 5000 component parts

First, I created a customized BOM Listing report that instead of grouping all the materials under a heading of the finished good, put the finished good on the same line as each material.

Next, I run that report multiple times with the "Indented Level" option checked (filtering by product group as Crystal will only create so large a report) and export to Excel (data only) each time, until I have everything. In our case I have to run it 3 times, each one generating about 20K spreadsheet lines.

Combining all the spreadsheets into one giant one gives me a exploded BOM for all our manufactured parts. In our case, this takes about 15 minutes (it's usually done Saturday night remotely from home) and the big spreadsheet is about 60k lines.

At this point I put a list of any parts I want to search for on Sheet2
and add a VLOOKUP column at the end of Sheet1, then sort by that column.

Epicor internally looks at everything as a "single level", and putting it all together inside the system is more than just cumbersome (unless someone has found a better way!), and this is what I came up with.

Good luck!

Ernie Lowell
Diba Industries

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "mobilevox" <juy@...> wrote:
>
> We would like to inactivate about 18,000 parts. Our problem is we don't have visibility when we do that on parts that are part of a BOM. We have an issue where they are not planned by MRP. We reviewed the job material before releasing and saw that the parts were not planned in time phase by MRP. Further investigation showed that if we manually released the jobs, we would have to "activate" the part before MRP had visibility of it.
>
> We previously thought that MRP would place jobs that had "inactive" parts on the planning workbench as a problem to resolve, but this is not the case. Therefore, we have no visibility or control to identify the problem until it is too late (i.e. the job release date). We get allocations but we don't get suggestions to fulfill the allocations.
>
> Does anyone have this issue and if so, how did you manage to get this to work in your favor. Any suggestions?
>
If you're replacing those 18000 parts with something else you should do the replace on your existing BOMs. If you have the DMT then this is easier to do than a mass replace. You would extract the BOMs from PartMtl (where MtlPartNum is those 18000 parts --hopefully there is some type of pattern matching you can use). Once you have that data (via SQL extract or BAQ), you just copy/paste it into excel, change your part numbers and use the DMT to update the BOMs. The DMT has an area that will build a template and show what the required field are, just match the template required fields including the existing parent part number and the new material part number.

If you want to rev your existing MOMs due to the replace, then you would need to extract the existing PartRev, PartMtl, and PartOpr files. Then you'd have to add the rev, add the oper for the new rev, and then massage your part material file and add those for the new rev too. If those part revisions are part of other parents then you have to update those too.
Thank you for your input. I will discuss this with our planners and see if this can be done on our end.

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "Elizabeth" <gracefulthreads@...> wrote:
>
> What I've recently had to do for a variety of issues requiring a fully exploded BOM (we have parts with up to 7 levels of subassemblies) requires going outside the system, but it is effective (if a little time-consuming).
>
> We're on 9.04.507A, and have about 6000 manufactured parts and 5000 component parts
>
> First, I created a customized BOM Listing report that instead of grouping all the materials under a heading of the finished good, put the finished good on the same line as each material.
>
> Next, I run that report multiple times with the "Indented Level" option checked (filtering by product group as Crystal will only create so large a report) and export to Excel (data only) each time, until I have everything. In our case I have to run it 3 times, each one generating about 20K spreadsheet lines.
>
> Combining all the spreadsheets into one giant one gives me a exploded BOM for all our manufactured parts. In our case, this takes about 15 minutes (it's usually done Saturday night remotely from home) and the big spreadsheet is about 60k lines.
>
> At this point I put a list of any parts I want to search for on Sheet2
> and add a VLOOKUP column at the end of Sheet1, then sort by that column.
>
> Epicor internally looks at everything as a "single level", and putting it all together inside the system is more than just cumbersome (unless someone has found a better way!), and this is what I came up with.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Ernie Lowell
> Diba Industries
>
> --- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "mobilevox" <juy@> wrote:
> >
> > We would like to inactivate about 18,000 parts. Our problem is we don't have visibility when we do that on parts that are part of a BOM. We have an issue where they are not planned by MRP. We reviewed the job material before releasing and saw that the parts were not planned in time phase by MRP. Further investigation showed that if we manually released the jobs, we would have to "activate" the part before MRP had visibility of it.
> >
> > We previously thought that MRP would place jobs that had "inactive" parts on the planning workbench as a problem to resolve, but this is not the case. Therefore, we have no visibility or control to identify the problem until it is too late (i.e. the job release date). We get allocations but we don't get suggestions to fulfill the allocations.
> >
> > Does anyone have this issue and if so, how did you manage to get this to work in your favor. Any suggestions?
> >
>